Fahaka freaking out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fahaka freaking out

So my fahaka is about 8 inches long now. I have had him since forever.
    I noticed that he is acting slightly strange.
    For one he kicked the gar out of the tank......
    He seems to freak out sometimes if i move something or insert something in the tank.
    He like 1/4 way puffed on me yesterday. First time i have ever seen him puff at all.
    He flys around the tank soaking the wall and myself in the process.
    He is fine eats raw shimp like its going out of style. Not aggressive toward the catfish or the 2 cichlids.

Has anyone ever had a fahaka fall out of the tank? From being scared or anything.

I have a 120 gallon 4x2x2.
    No lid kind starting to think i need something.

Problem is that i have T5 lights and a hob filter and a canister filter.
    I know a sheet of glass wont work cuz it will just break or be too heavy.

Custom top is obvously an option but i live in an apt so hard to do any wood work.
    Could use a dash of salt......

120 gallon Fahaka, Gar, Catfish, 2 dwarf graumi, 2 cichlid

30 gallon salt

10 gallon baby cichlid

I'd check your parameters first...do any thing different lately?

Every puffer is different, but sometimes they just spook or sulk...maybe he's having a bad week.

It is generally recommended to have a top on, they can flip themselves out trying to chase something, or spooking, or just...because they're puffers. And if they hit the ground and puff, it can sometimes result in death even if you're sitting right there to put them right back in the tank- the air can be hard for them to release.

I'd double check parameters and definitely look into tops- we have glass tops on our 150, just pulled forward a touch to get the equipment in the back. It'll hold up your light.
    "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

The only thing is i dont have a couple hundred bucks to throw down on a glass top

30 gallon salt

10 gallon baby cichlid

Comment

They're usually not too bad...

Aquarium Glass Canopies at the lowest prices online and up to 60% off everyday at That Fish Place - That Pet Place. Free Shipping over $75 everday with code 'FREE75'. Call 1-888-THAT-PET to order today!
        "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Or you could look for some used.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I just ordered one.

30 gallon salt

10 gallon baby cichlid

Comment

My puffer gets moody, I have noticed that if I feed him a lot he gets moody and sulks or just lazy! Once I noticed that I cut his feeding back a tad and he's always active following me around and greeting me everyday. At least that's how I see it, he's probably just hungry lol.
              20g mixed reef

Comment

No problem!

Comment

I feed him about 2 raw shrimp in the morning and at night.

30 gallon salt

10 gallon baby cichlid

Comment

So 4 raw shrimp a day? How often do you do water changes? Just curious...
                    20g mixed reef

Comment

once a week.
                      40%

30 gallon salt

10 gallon baby cichlid

Comment

It would be cool to see a picture.
                        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Davis View Post
                          I feed him about 2 raw shrimp in the morning and at night.
                          He might be a little sluggish...just like people, feed 'em too much and they just want to sit around! Lol. Maybe try cutting back and see if his behavior improves? I feed mine (12'' or so) one table shrimp every other day. A few snails 3 times a week or so on non-shrimp days. (I know they beg, but they really don't need that much food.) And occasionally, instead of shrimp, she gets a clam, earthworm, a crawdad, or a piece of raw crab...just something else to switch it up a bit.
                          Feeding less helps keep the water cleaner, too! Always a plus, especially with tank mates.

Comment

so the lid i ordered doesnt fit right.
                            They look nice but they are 2 foot wide for a 4 foot tank.
                            That would leave no room for it to sit on the brace.
                            So just sitting on top hope no one bumps it.

30 gallon salt

10 gallon baby cichlid

Comment

Lids are kinda a pain when they dont fit.

Fahaka still randomly slamming himself into the glass all over the tank every other day or so.

He eats and isnt dark. My buddys Mbu just killed its self doing that a day ago.

30 gallon salt

10 gallon baby cichlid

Comment

Working...
                              X