No announcement yet.

DoubleDutch's Cory-addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I love larger schoals of corydoras. We were up at a local fish store and I spotted a few imposter corydoras mixed in with a school. Very cool indeed, but the parameters for Corydoras are a bit tough over here, especially for breeding. We have liquid rock out of the tap, great for rift lake cichlids though bad for soft water amazonians... We have done a few soft/low ph tanks and dropped it to below 6.0 (I'm guessing in the mid 5's) but hauling RO/DI water for all water changes can become a chore. I suppose a home RO/DI system is a necessity if we ever want to try and keep/breed them....
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Fluid rock haha. What are normal waterparameters from tapwater??? Mine Ph is 7,2 and they all all in normal tapwater. Some species will need a lower ph though (habrosus aso). Aeneus, Paleatus aso are hardened and can be kept in higher PH

Comment

Fry

Comment

Average water out of our tap is Ph - 8.2, TDS - 350-400ppm. We can water change our Tanganyikans and they just love those parameters, but any softer water South Americans/South East Asian fish can survive. I have seen some folks breed them locally, but other then peppered/bronze cories, the rest need far softer water.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

Okay so you have to chew your water before swallowing it? I'll ask a Scottish expert if there are any other ones you could keep in that.

Comment

Ehh, I actually prefer the stranger softer water species. Just one of those issues we realize and deal with. RO/DI water is our only real viable solution for maintaining anything requiring soft parameters. I have been tossing around the idea of doing a true Amazonian black water biotope with tannin stained water, driftwood, no plants, and spotlight LED's to reproduce the dappling of the minimal light in their environment. Likely would do a breeding group of Hatchets, checkerboard cichlids, and some type of Corydoras and a nicer Panaque or Ancistrus family L type.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

Ahhh misunderstood !!!! Yeah that's my dream too. There is a guy overhere that has a 3 meter tank that way (one of the few with such large tank). I'll try and give you the adress of his thread on the Dutch forum later. Amazing !!!!!

Comment

Meet some other friends than

Comment

That sounds great, would love to see it. Seems like there is always some fish/biotope I am wanting to set up. I saw some WC Eel Tailed Banjo cats (Platystacus cotylephorus) for sale recently and had a bad case of wanting to set up a biotope species only tank for them...
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

Hahaha same problem as here : they are all just tooooo nice hahaha.

Comment

Give it a try at http://www.aquaforum.nl/ubb/ubbthrea...540#Post184540

Comment

Surprise surprise. Discovered two c.Panda amongst the Aeneusfry.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk 2

Comment

Congrats on the accidental breeding! Nothing suggests you are keeping them happy like that...
                            Desiderius Erasmus
                            GHAC President

Comment

Hahaha thanks. put some plants from the pandatank in my breeding tank. Must have been eggs in there. They let me think they didn't spawn. Sneaky between the plants they did hihihi.

Comment

helicopterview latest fry

Comment

Working...
                                X