No announcement yet.

Pea Puffer tank mates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love these guys. They already recognize me and come to the surface for blood worms. They actually stay together in the tank too. Pretty neat seeing them kinda schooled up.

Comment

Originally posted by mr big87 View Post
      I love these guys. They already recognize me and come to the surface for blood worms. They actually stay together in the tank too. Pretty neat seeing them kinda schooled up.
      That's awesome! Hopefully they will breed for you like sunkenmetal's pea puffers did for him.
      All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Fingers crossed. I have zero aggression towards each other. She keeps asking if we can add more, but I read 5 gallons per puffer is ideal. Thinking I'm going to add some endlers or guppies to kind of keep the puffers busy from picking at each other just in case. Maybe.

Comment

So I have some small snails on my back glass door.... Anybody know if it'd be safe to feed one to the puffers?

Comment

Terrestrial snails are usually a bad idea. You could try some of the aquatic snails, but ours did little to truly curb our MTS population. I have a feeling common pond (tadpole) snails would be best for them. Any of the larger varieties take weeks of abuse before finally dying and causing a Nitrate spike. Shrimp are a great option, ghost/cherries always did fine with ours.
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

Mines love pond snails and ramshorn snails. I haven't tried feeding mts because I don't want that stuff in any of my tanks.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                Terrestrial snails are usually a bad idea. You could try some of the aquatic snails, but ours did little to truly curb our MTS population. I have a feeling common pond (tadpole) snails would be best for them. Any of the larger varieties take weeks of abuse before finally dying and causing a Nitrate spike. Shrimp are a great option, ghost/cherries always did fine with ours.
                Thanks, ill leave them on the back door then! I have about 20 cherries so far. Waiting on them to breed. Have 3 petco snails, they are big though. Plan to build up some pond and ramshorn snails, and also pick up a marbled crayfish. See how they do against tiny crays.

Comment

I would advise against the marbled cray. It may kill your puffers.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                    I would advise against the marbled cray. It may kill your puffers.

Should have specified, will be in a separate tank.

Comment

Pea puffers are doin great! Currently sharing their 40B with 3 oto's, a donen ghost shrimp and some Amano shrimp. Still no aggression so far. No real rhyme or reason to the scape, just want a jungle to break up sight lines:

Comment

They have not attacked any small shrimp?
                        I have the patience of a goldfish....

Comment

Our Pea puffers were always scared or Amanos and Ghost Shrimp. They only bothered our smaller neos
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by suicune View Post
                            They have not attacked any small shrimp?
                            Nope haven't looked twice at them. I assume the cherry shrimp might be a different story since they are the same color as the blood worms. That's assuming fish can see colors....which I have no idea.

Comment

LOL, good Call, we actually had the same conclusion about color and food (ours only ate bloodworms), wonder if they would be less prone to eating yellow or blue shrimplets...
                              Desiderius Erasmus
                              GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                                LOL, good Call, we actually had the same conclusion about color and food (ours only ate bloodworms), wonder if they would be less prone to eating yellow or blue shrimplets...
                                Possibly, but our Betta took out the only 2 yellow shrimp I had. Or else I'd test it.

Comment

Working...
                                X