Ideas for 10 gal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

think i might go the shrimp/plant route to go a new direction

Only stuff i never managed to kill off was java moss, java ferns and duckweed....grasses did ok, so did anubias and cabomba. things like swords always died.

Comment

Originally posted by suicune View Post
      I have some flat mexican pebbles so you can tie your anubias, moss, and fern to, that would be great also. Standard 10 gallons all you need is a t8 to grow some nice low maintenance plants.
      That would be great, also have the stones from Friday's get together to tie plants. Right nowt he light is a standard incandescent, so i screw in two CFLs. Start easy with the plants and work my way up in the world :)

Comment

Originally posted by LooksLater View Post
        Yeah we've got tons of nice low light easy stuff to get you going... I like where this thread is headed! Lolololol.
        We're all more than happy to help pull you over to the dark side- plants and shrimp are fun easy tanks!
        Thanks...contributions are always welcome..come one come all jk

Comment

Swords are easy plants too though.

Comment

you need root tabs for sword plants
            I have the patience of a goldfish....

Comment

The swords would essentially last a few months, but gradually the leaves would split and brown until nothing left. I just stopped buying them

The tetras in my 29 all congregated and looked at the cabomba like "holy crap something is real and not this plastic junk..."

Comment

I'll be bringing sandwich bags of assorted mosses. They're mainly the mosses I got from Roy and Sasha. They've been growing like weeds since I started dosing ferts. I accidentally dumped too much ferts in, so they've got algae on them. A quick hydrogen peroxide dip should kill it off.

I also have root tabs, but I'm running low right now. Only have about 250 or so. I need to order some more soon.

Comment

Definitely. Swords are easy but can be nutrient hogs, especially in a 10g.
                  You're coming to the GHAC meeting, right? I'll PM you my number, start getting you a list together and bring you some stuff!
                  "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Maybe that is why the swords died off so quick, not enough nutrients.

But yes i will be at the GHAC meeting. I will get in touch with you on what would be best to start. Thanks

Comment

put some roots tabs and medium light 2w/g and you're golden, heck go for something higher light and they turn red... so pretty.
                      I agree that real plants are always better than those plastic junk. IME, The power of a planted tank can be greater than those mechanical filters.

Comment

Originally posted by suicune View Post
                        put some roots tabs and medium light 2w/g and you're golden, heck go for something higher light and they turn red... so pretty.
                        I agree that real plants are always better than those plastic junk. IME, The power of a planted tank can be greater than those mechanical filters.
                        Are those lights only strips? or do they exist in screw in bulbs? If i need to invest in a better strip light it will probably be worth it for a nicer tank...cant be that much for a 10 gal

Comment

Is it a rimless tank? If so, fluval flora lights are excellent and u can clamp them on anywhere. I have two on my 8 gallon nano... I think each is 13 watts but the spectrum is specifically for plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

for a 10 gallons, you don't need much, I think they provide fluorescent for plants that can fit in the standard screw.

Comment

tank has a rim. it was originally one of those 10 gallon setups and came with full hood. will have to shop around for standard screw in bulbs

Comment

those are easy... there are CFL for plant spectrum too. it wouldn't cost much. coral life colormax would work like 8 bucks for one...
                                Last edited by suicune; 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X