CWD filter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWD filter question

I just ordered my first canister filter (filstar xp2) for a 9g tub pond in their terrarium. My main question is what would be the best filter material would be best to use to keep the water healthy and clean. I would also like to use floating plants and a few feeder fish they can snack on. I can't remember the name of the floating plant i use to use in my planted tank that sucked up the ammonia. Ideas on all of this would be great!
    29g Fire Belly Toad
    • Hippity
    • Hoppity
    • Fatty
    • Pip
    • Skitz
    20g Long
    Fully planted with fish

IMO: Matrix is the best medea.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Any floater will soak up ammonia and nitrates quickly. My favorite is Azolla. You could use Red Root Floaters, Salvinia, Duckweed, Water Lettuce, Dwarf Water lettuce, Frogbit, etc. Duckweed and Azolla would probably propagate the fastest of them all.

My favorite media for canisters is matrix. It packs in well and you get a lot of surface area because of it. Eheim coco puffs work great too, but very pricey. Currently I'm using plastic pot scrubbers because it's the best bang for your buck. 6/$1. I have about 16 in an Eheim 2213

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
      Last edited by mistahoo; 07-13-2013, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Would Matrix pond or bio be better? I say pond because I would imagine a pond would get as nasty as my lizard water does. Sorry I know it is probably a stupid question lol
        29g Fire Belly Toad
        • Hippity
        • Hoppity
        • Fatty
        • Pip
        • Skitz
        20g Long
        Fully planted with fish

Comment

Bio? As in bio media? Seachem Matrix is bio media. You could use Seachem Pond Matrix if your filter is bigger. The thing with Pond Matrix is that the media is a bunch of odd shapes (you'll have a huge one and then a tiny one).

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Working...
          X