Why? - Texas Cichlid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why? - Texas Cichlid

Why cant I get my Texas Cichlids to breed at my house? I've had about 15 Texas cichlids for a while now and I cant get them to breed at my house. I say my house because my brother bought one of MY tanks and didnt know what he wanted to put in there. I offered to put eight of my smaller T.C. in the tank and 2-1/2 weeks later I have a pair breeding. Only thing that has changed is the source of the tap water and the color of the lights. He liked the actinic look.

IMG_20130616_185456_364.jpg IMG_20130616_185737_404.jpg

Not the best shot of the color change. You can see how light the front is now.
    ResizedImage951372709625515.jpg
    Attached Files

200 - African cichlids
    72 - Salty Bow Front
    33 Cube - community
    10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Lights should not be an issue, what are your water parameters? That would be my best guess or possibly too large a number with intergroup dynamics occupying their focus? Try isolating a known pair or trio, perform massive 50-75% water changes every other day, feed with live prey and I have a feeling they'll be breeding in no time. Sometimes its the first batch that is the hardest, after that its almost impossible to stop them.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

I agree wwith Roy. to many in the grooup. Also what do you keep your temp. ? your water changes should be 3 to 5 degree cooler in temp. the temp drop will make them want to spawn.
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Havent Checked the parameter. Very busy with school/ work, I go by and clean the tank for him but that's it.

Need info on how to get them to breed. They beat up all the others and almost killed one. Moved the six back to my house and left the pair but no activity any more.
        Got any pointers on : Food Regiment? Lighting times? Temps? Water change schedules? Rock to have?

Tank has some driftwood, Pfs, and small river rock. Looking to change the DW out to some kinda rock.

Thanks

200 - African cichlids
        72 - Salty Bow Front
        33 Cube - community
        10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

They live and breed in our local streams and rivers. So they should be generally easy to breed. I'd suggest a regimented high protein food source (shrimp, fish, frozen), a very solid water change schedule (never let the Nitrates creep above 20ppm), lighting should not be a concern, I'd honestly turn off the heater entirely, Ph should be 7.5 or higher (whatever your tap is should be fine), give them some nice flat stones for spawning sites and they should breed in no time.
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

In the 3rd pic you have a female in breeding dress.
            What I have found to work is feed them well[don't over feed],water changes..rinse and repeat.

Comment

Working...
            X