Tips on how to strip Chimba holding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on how to strip Chimba holding

Well I have my first chimba holding right now and Im gonna make an egg tumbler sometime today when I find a design for one. Though the problem will come with stripping "I've never done it before" and was wondering what tips anyone has for stripping

How long has she been holding?
    210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
    125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Here's what I do. Fill a bucket with tank water, then catch female you're gonna strip. Hold her firmly with one have so that she's upright. Then dunk her in the water and gently pry her upper lip upwards. This will make her open her whole mouth and eggs should fall out. Give her a gentle up/down shake to make sure all the eggs are out, do a visual check as well. Then get the lower section of the tumbler and put it under water as well, and using a well used spoon transfer the eggs into it very gently. Then use another container with tank water to transfer the half of the tumbler back into the tank by scooping it along with some water from the bucket. Key here is never to expose the eggs to air. Once in the tank, you can reassemble the tumbler and hook up air. Regulate air so that the eggs gently sway inside the tumbler.

When you strip the females, I would recommend doing it before day 5 or after day 10 or so because the developing fry is very fragile at this time. Obviously, the longer you wait past day 10 the better. Yolk sac should start disappearing rather rapidly after 14 - 15 days.

Good luck Johnny
      http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
        Here's what I do. Fill a bucket with tank water, then catch female you're gonna strip. Hold her firmly with one have so that she's upright. Then dunk her in the water and gently pry her upper lip upwards. This will make her open her whole mouth and eggs should fall out. Give her a gentle up/down shake to make sure all the eggs are out, do a visual check as well. Then get the lower section of the tumbler and put it under water as well, and using a well used spoon transfer the eggs into it very gently. Then use another container with tank water to transfer the half of the tumbler back into the tank by scooping it along with some water from the bucket. Key here is never to expose the eggs to air. Once in the tank, you can reassemble the tumbler and hook up air. Regulate air so that the eggs gently sway inside the tumbler.

When you strip the females, I would recommend doing it before day 5 or after day 10 or so because the developing fry is very fragile at this time. Obviously, the longer you wait past day 10 the better. Yolk sac should start disappearing rather rapidly after 14 - 15 days.

Good luck Johnny
        Thanks shes been holding about 6 days now i believe so im ready for some fry.... I actually thought something was wrong at first she was just at the bottom swimming around slowly so i threw some food in she swam towards it through it then i saw the pouch and was like yes finally

Comment

Cool. I'd say let her ride for a few more days. Congrats man

Comment

Sounds good gives me a few days to research diy tumblers and build one

Comment

6 days is gonna is a little too early.

Compounded with the fact that you don't have a tumbler.

I would wait it out. It's not like the fry develops any faster after you strip it.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post

I would wait it out. It's not like the fry develops any faster after you strip it.
                Too early to be drunk Thai LOL

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post

Im gonna make a tumbler today or tomorrow before i strip her and want to keep her from swollowing i keep loosing my troph eggs that way

Comment

And im gonna wait a few more days before i strip like sunny suggested

Comment

Johnny, they mostly swallow infertile eggs which means the male didn't get to fertilize the eggs properly due to other fish interfering.

Comment

Johnny, they mostly swallow infertile eggs which means the male didn't get to fertilize the eggs properly due to other fish interfering.
                        Ahh i didnt know that i thought it was due to inexperince and harrasment maybe ill make the tumbler for later and hold out and see how she does

Comment

Good luck Johnny
                          ive never had a problem with tumbling eggs that expose to air. They all come out ok and fully develop

Comment

You can still get the tumblers to have them ready.

Comment

I have experienced t hat the main thing on the eggs coming out of the water is to not let them get dry(definate no no).
                              I live for tangs@
                              Taunt,fishlines
                              I dream for smoking
                              reels@gianttanks.
                              I reminese the past
                              of walking the giant
                              fishmarket in jiju do.

Comment

Working...
                              X