How Many Is Considered A Colony ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Is Considered A Colony ?

How many Trophs of one variant does it take to be considered a "colony" ? I ask this question because of all the For Sale threads and post that I read on the Box and other forums . I noticed that some people will have maybe 8 to 10 fish and call that a colony . I don't call this a "colony"..... I call this a "group"or exactly what it is...."8 to 10 fish". I've always considered a "colony" to be roughly 25 fish or more . Maybe I'm wrong so.......I'm just curious as to what other Troph keepers think .

I would say a group would be considered 20+

Comment

I noticed that too, Dave.

IMO, tropheus are ideally kept in colonies of 20 + fish.

So 20+ would be a colony for me.
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I've always saw a colony as about 20+. A group being less than 20. A few/couple being 1-4. Everyone has their own opinion of what they consider a colony. Honestly, I don't think there is a wrong or right just different interpretations. If you take it back to the dictionary, a group is a colony.

Comment

Funny that we all thought the same thing. I consider a colony 20+, but thats my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
          300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

25+
            280g:peacocks
            210g : haps
            12g : shellies
            (4) 55g:breeding tanks

Comment

An ad for 8-10 fish should say what is left of a colony
              120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
              180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

Well I guess it depends on the person and type of fish To me 8+ frontosa is a colony. With trophs its probably different. Whatever amount that makes the aggression disperse is a colony IMO.

Comment

Hard to have a colony with less than 20. To me a colony is established and hierarchy is established. Hard for a small group to be established.
                  210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
                  125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

It also depends on the variant, some are more aggressive than others to be kept in small group. Thats why alot of them are kept in large numbers, but in my opinion 25+ is a start for a colony on most tropheus.
                    175 tropheus Chaitika
                    125 tropheus Ujiji
                    90 tropheus Nkonde

Comment

As long as ur fish are happy group numbers can be any number

Comment

Lol. Happy males can be aggressive males and you'll end up with one fish in your tank.
                        210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
                        125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Originally posted by KhmerStyle View Post
                          Well I guess it depends on the person and type of fish To me 8+ frontosa is a colony. With trophs its probably different. Whatever amount that makes the aggression disperse is a colony IMO.
                          We are talking about Trophs (and Petros) here in the HTPC section

Agree with 20+ being a colony.
                          http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Originally posted by KhmerStyle View Post

Comment

Originally posted by New_Cichlid11 View Post
                              It also depends on the variant, some are more aggressive than others to be kept in small group. Thats why alot of them are kept in large numbers, but in my opinion 25+ is a start for a colony on most tropheus.
                              I don't believe this is the case. IMHO, all tropheus variants are generally the same. It's the individual temperate of the males which make up a colony that dictates how aggressive the colony is....again, has nothing to do with a particular variant.
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X