rbta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rbta

I see all these pics and videos of rbtas getting massive. I started off with one 4" rbta about 4 months ago. He got to maybe 5" before he split and one of his splits just split. What causes splits, they a good thing? I've never fed them, just leave lights on a good while. They're under 160w of led lights

usually stress related may be water conditions, flow, etc. When I just start using bio pellets my rbta split into 3.

Comment

I've heard of people "shocking" the water....like a drastic change in salinity and that causes them to split...

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Originally posted by madehtsobi View Post
        I've heard of people "shocking" the water....like a drastic change in salinity and that causes them to split...

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD
        All of the above is true, another case is if you physically disturb it.
        Once, I was trying to catch a clown fish living in an RBTA with a net, I beat it up bad enough such that he decided to move and split.

Comment

That's interesting since my rbtas never really settled down in a single spot. They're constntly on the move other than when imy powerheads are off

Comment

There is a school of thought that there are two types of e-quads... Those that split small and regular and those that will grow pretty much to their physical limit then split. It isn't always stress that causes splits as there are people with nems in huge, perfectly stable tanks that have hundreds of nems as they split so often... I think it may sometimes be a colonization reaction when they are happy enough. Now having said all that, I had one nem, which great huge and split three ways, now one of the clones is well on its way to being the huge size of the original, while the two smaller clones split themselves about 8 months later. I think, as with the debate on how to make them "bubble", it is a completely random chance, some are bubbly, some are stringy, some are splitters and some are growers. I would never take any of these things as a bad sign for my nems. Only if they closed up/let go of the rock for any significant amount of time would I actually worry about them.

Sent from BiGPiNK's Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BiGPiNK View Post
              There is a school of thought that there are two types of e-quads... Those that split small and regular and those that will grow pretty much to their physical limit then split. It isn't always stress that causes splits as there are people with nems in huge, perfectly stable tanks that have hundreds of nems as they split so often... I think it may sometimes be a colonization reaction when they are happy enough. Now having said all that, I had one nem, which great huge and split three ways, now one of the clones is well on its way to being the huge size of the original, while the two smaller clones split themselves about 8 months later. I think, as with the debate on how to make them "bubble", it is a completely random chance, some are bubbly, some are stringy, some are splitters and some are growers. I would never take any of these things as a bad sign for my nems. Only if they closed up/let go of the rock for any significant amount of time would I actually worry about them.

Sent from BiGPiNK's Tapatalk
              Very well said!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
                That's interesting since my rbtas never really settled down in a single spot. They're constntly on the move other than when imy powerheads are off
                That is the exact reason why they move: your powerhead disturbs them. They like their feet in calm water and their heads in some flow. If you have water movement everywhere then they will keep trying to move to find a calm spot to anchor.

An example, I have an anenome that had stayed in one spot for a month+, yesterday I vacummed the tank and moved the powerhead to point to the rock under the anenome. In an hour or so, it moved up a foot away from the powerhead.

Comment

Working...
                X