Cherry shrimp advice - I think dieing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherry shrimp advice - I think dieing

Hey guys I have a question I just got home and notice this. First I will give you a run down I bought 10 shrimp about 3 days ago. 1 committed filter suicide. I fixed this buy putting a big sponger cover, I now noticed 1 was kinda a off white/red and was still feeding. I now went into the room and he is a ghost white color and dead.. any advice my water parameters are as follows
    Temp - 80
    PH - 7.8
    AM - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 0
    KH - 140 PPM
    GH- 220 PPM

Any advice the only 2 new things I did was a 25% WC using that Glacier water from a fill station and I also used declornator with it. I also added about a 1/4 of a IAL in the tank.
    Last edited by Freddy54; 05-07-2013, 08:03 PM.

Water may be to hot. Do you have any other livestock in there?
    75g Tank,
    2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
    2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
    10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
    10g Tank
    Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

Remember shrimp have short lifespan. If you weren't keen to the methods of the previous owner and his water change habits, that could be the reason. It's best to emulate what the previous owner did and slow acclimate them to your habits.
      210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
      125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Originally posted by moganman View Post
        Remember shrimp have short lifespan. If you weren't keen to the methods of the previous owner and his water change habits, that could be the reason. It's best to emulate what the previous owner did and slow acclimate them to your habits.
        +1 what kind of shrimp they are?
        75g Tank,
        2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
        2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
        10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
        10g Tank
        Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

I bet that's what I did shock them

Comment

The one that I thought was dead I through in a sump the water is at 70 for temp and hes active as hell now... Think i should remove the heater? I basically will be keeping Cherries,OEBT, and assassin snails in this tank, with plants

Comment

Shrimp need cooler water. When I had mine I had it sustained at 68-70 degrees. Actually around this time of year I had a fan for my shrimp to keep the water below room temperature. Heaters are not necessary unless its freezing outside.
              210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
              125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

What kind of fan? Because I might need one.
                20Long
                8Ebi

Comment

Dwarf freshwater shrimp tend to like cooler temps around 70-74F. Higher isn't recommended. If you didn't acclimate properly, they will most likely die as they're really finicky with big changes in water parameters. The temp being at 80F doesn't help either. That could also be the cause.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Temp, though water parameters might have also played a role. Theoretically OEBT's and Neos could share a tank, one ends up doing well and the other suffers slightly. Caridina prefer soft water and neos like our hard tap water. Small water changes with aged (1 day) water seem to do best. They are sensitive to high Nitrates and any Ammonia or Nitrites. We avoid heaters on any shrimp tank and they do fine. Once you have the system down for cherries the others are a bit easier. Avoid any pesticides in the room or house, it will kill them in no time.
                    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

Ya they actually have their own room! Lol I took the heater out last night so I guess in a day or so if I loose another its because of something else. I also checked the water again a few hours after the post and water is same parameters. I also added in a IAL

Comment

My Cherries are breeding like a mofo and the temp usually stays between 78-80
                        A wife, two kids and two cats.

Comment

Hey jay what's your water parameters?

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy54 View Post
                            Hey jay what's your water parameters?

Ill get them when I get off of work, This tank has been established around a year or so. I dont test the water to often anymore but I will test today after work and post them up.
                            A wife, two kids and two cats.

Comment

Do you have any other shrimp in the tank or fish?

Comment

Working...
                              X