No announcement yet.

RO/DI substitute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you do low-end or softies then you can get away with tap water. But I wouldn't personally go with out RODI on high-end corals or especially SPS to sensitive
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Here is a tank that has never seen RO/DI water..

IMG_20130503_163014.jpgi have been running a setup with a canister and tap water for about 2yrs now. keeping sps and corals of all sort. the only problem i ever had was my ex putting my tank on the porch in one of the coldest days,and killed almost everything. but i pretty much started over, with corals and fish besides a very few.. this happened in sept. got the tank going smooth and beasting with tap water. water change and 2part dosing is all i really do. oh deff keep a skimmer going.

Comment

I hear people say don't use tap water because of the high phosphates and it leads to algae....but people who use only RO/DI water get algae too?....I've asked 2 SW LFS around me and they say start with tap because I'm going to kill myself trying to get 210g of RO/DI water in to start the tank...

Comment

i know they say alot of bad things about tap. i started an LA and endend up back in houston with my tank, using tap all along the way. the only time i had an algea bloom was when i got my leds. cut back the light 1 1/2 hrs cured algea problem real quick. in my ato water i put marine conditioner and ph stabelizer. in my canister i run ammo chips, carbon, and sponges. seems to work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Houston713Texan View Post
            i know they say alot of bad things about tap. i started an LA and endend up back in houston with my tank, using tap all along the way. the only time i had an algea bloom was when i got my leds. cut back the light 1 1/2 hrs cured algea problem real quick. in my ato water i put marine conditioner and ph stabelizer. in my canister i run ammo chips, carbon, and sponges. seems to work for me.
            You can use tap water + marine conditioner, ph stabelizer, ammo chips, carbon or
            You can use RO/ DI water.

Comment

Working...
            X