Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SA/CA 90g Tank Black Sand.. You know I couldn't stay away from Oscars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA/CA 90g Tank Black Sand.. You know I couldn't stay away from Oscars.

The Jaguars were fun, but I gave them away. Honestly, a 90g is too small for a breeding pair of jaguars, regardless of what your friends tell you. lol

So, I now have 1 Oscar, 1 Jack Dempsey, 5 Silver Dollars, and 5 Cory Cats. The cory cats are there mainly to see if the substrate is too abrasive... and so far so good, it's not. I have 200lbs of blasting sand as the substrate and it vacuums just like PFS. I have a small school of rosy minnows as well because I'm a bad person and I like to feed live food to my Oscar. But I'm here to post some pictures, so I'll stop boring you with these words.

90gOscarTank-27.jpg90gOscarTank-1.jpg90gOscarTank-2.jpg90gOscarTank-3.jpg90gOscarTank-4.jpg90gOscarTank-5.jpg90gOscarTank-6.jpg90gOscarTank-7.jpg90gOscarTank-8.jpg90gOscarTank-9.jpg90gOscarTank-10.jpg90gOscarTank-11.jpg90gOscarTank-12.jpg90gOscarTank-13.jpg90gOscarTank-14.jpg90gOscarTank-15.jpg90gOscarTank-16.jpg90gOscarTank-17.jpg90gOscarTank-18.jpg90gOscarTank-19.jpg90gOscarTank-20.jpg90gOscarTank-21.jpg90gOscarTank-22.jpg90gOscarTank-23.jpg90gOscarTank-24.jpg90gOscarTank-25.jpg90gOscarTank-26.jpg90gOscarTank-28.jpg90gOscarTank-29.jpg90gOscarTank-30.jpg

^.^V There you have it, 30 Photos of my 90 gallon tank. I've had it set up this way since 3/26/2013 according to the receipts. This is the tank the Aquatop CF500UV is running on. The only reason Algae is covering the back of the tank is because I like it's color better than the blue. I hate blue backgrounds on tanks, I don't know why they just irk me. lol

Also the Jack Dempsey, I'm pretty sure is female, what do you guys think?

Looks good. Great job w/ the picture count. I also have the blasting media and havent had any issues with abrasion. Maybe its just me but I've never seen such a nice looking Oscar.

200 - African cichlids
    72 - Salty Bow Front
    33 Cube - community
    10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

That IS a good looking oscar, just saying. Nice bright eyes, great colors. Whatever you're doing, looks like you're doing it right.
      "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Thank you! =D

A Varied diet of Omega One Cichlid Pellets, dried shrimp and Krill my friends. Frozen Krill is what I'm crediting his/her colors to.

That's why I selected this oscar was because it's colors were unique in the tank at Petsmart. =D
        Last edited by DaiMasters; 04-25-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

+1 more on the great looking oscar.
          But could you find a bigger thermometer? it does stand out...
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Ohhh how I love oscars. What a beautiful tank! Love the scape and the general dark look of it. Keep updating!
            All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Nice set up..But the jack looks like a male to me.

Comment

90g Oscar Tank Update 5/8/2013

So I took more pictures! =D

http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/Da...allon%20Update For some reason they all won't upload here. =/

Out of 124 shots I only liked 32 of them, and they aren't that great, But this one I thought was really nice.

I'm slowly learning how to use lightroom and the camera. I just need to get my own camera so I can take pictures more often. Though, I am fortunate enough to have a roommate who trusts me with his camera enough to let me use it around a large vat of water occasionally.. lol

Oh and I kicked out the crayfish, he shed a couple of times and got large enough to grab the Oscar and ripped a fin and damaged a few scales. So he's not in the above set. I attached some phone pictures I took after his second shed though.
                Attached Files

Comment

Break his arms off and u wouldn't have a prob with the crawfish

Comment

I thought about doing that, but changed my mind. I just got rid of it. I want to find some SA/CA invert that may work. I've heard there are freshwater SA/CA true aquatic crabs, but I've no luck finding any information about them. I was also thinking about a Cherax Destructor even though it's Australian. Unfortunately they seem to like a much higher PH than my fish do.

Comment

Do you mean panther crabs? they are the only fully aquatic FW crab.

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                        Do you mean panther crabs? they are the only fully aquatic FW crab.
                        This is incorrect. There are also Thailand Micro Crabs (Limnopilos naiyanetri). Adults get to about .5". Both crabs aren't from South America. One is from Thailand and the other from Indonesia
                        Last edited by mistahoo; 05-10-2013, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                          ... There are also Thailand Micro Crabs (Limnopilos naiyanetri). Adults get to about .5". Both crabs aren't from South America. One is from Thailand and the other from Indonesia

That could be why I haven't found any information. lol

Comment

I should have said the only one I know of. The thailand micro crabs are real smale. My bigger Geos would eat them. the panther is much bigger but not to big. At 2 to 3 ".

Comment

This website is for sale! aristocratama.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, aristocratama.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I didn't realize there was another one! Fire crabs!

Comment

Working...
                              X