Mantis Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mantis Shrimp

Been thinking recently about getting a mantis shrimp and just kinda wondering how hard is it and what all do you need for it? This isn't something that is gonna happen tomorrow but just gathering intel just in case I decide to go that route.
    125g: Empty For Now
    90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

I'm curious, too. I've been trying to find something to keep my little one's attention & that's what Roy suggested to me. I read that they can break the glass on a glass aquarium, though. Makes me wonder if that's a freak accident or if it happens often. They sure are cool looking!
    180g - 2 Red Oscars, 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 JD, Convicts, convicts & more convicts
    75g - 1 Silver Aro, 1 Mean Koi Angel
    50g - Various platy & mollies
    10g - 1 Green Spotted Puffer

Comment

Mantis Shrimp

My peacock!

Comment

Yes! Awesome lookin! Can you give us some info on it? Care? Needs?

Comment

Yes please

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Mantis Shrimp

Just got him today so can't tell u much... But I had a different more docile species in there before this one and it all depends on the individual really.

He's in an 1/4" acrylic tank with hang on back filters.. Regular t5 lighting that I had for my planted tank and just threw n an actinic bulb.

I tried feeding him raw shrimp earlier and he tossed it back at me lol

And I have a pseudo n 2 chromis n there that seem ok for now. I have some cheap corals n there as well.

He does sift through the sand alot to make his home but I believe that's just for now til he gets comfortable.

Guy at LFS said he's been feeding him snails..

I have been looking for this species the past few months... And finally saw it today... So lucky Friday for me!

Comment

Hmmm. Did you choose acrylic over glass based on experience or info or did you just have the tank already? Nice pick up!

Comment

Mantis Shrimp

I had it already so it was a plus...

I don't think they hit the glass on purpose...prolly just a "missed" hit on its prey

Comment

I see so do you feed live food?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Does it need to have corals and the whole nine or just live rock and sand or what

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by madehtsobi View Post
                      I had it already so it was a plus...

I don't think they hit the glass on purpose...prolly just a "missed" hit on its prey
                      I think this is the case with most of those "freak accidents" where they break the glass. I'd imagine thicker glass wouldn't be much of a problem, but the thin cheap ones won't last long.

Comment

Mantis Shrimp

They say no corals but I have some cheap free corals n here and so far it's ok..

I threw n a piece of raw shrimp earlier and he threw it back at me! Lol

Comment

Ok but I'm thinking if I do go this route it would be max a 20gal tank and I don't think they come with very thick glass

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Go acrylic

Comment

Mantis Shrimp

If u can find acrylic go that route

Comment

Working...
                              X