Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt water sump: Bio balls in, or bio balls out? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt water sump: Bio balls in, or bio balls out? Why?

Every time I decide what I'm going to do, I hear 10 people say the opposite....lol. "Bio balls are great". Bio balls are bad because they trap nitrates". What is the best way, and why?? Thanks in advance!
    90 gallon reef: Softies, LPS, Shrooms, Gobies, Mandarin Goby, Sailfin, Hippo, damsels, Clowns
    55 Gallon: Yellow Lab, Electric Blue, Albino Zebra, Yellow tail Acei, Cobalt Blue
    40 Gallon: Demasoni Breeding Colony
    30 Gallon: Grow out fry tank
    10 Gallon: Fry Tank

I say try without first, what benefit are you expecting out of bio balls?

Comment

The setup I bought came with the bioballs in it. I keep hearing they're good in fresh water, but not good in salt water. So, I've been planning to replace with live rock/rubble and maybe some cheato in the sump.
      90 gallon reef: Softies, LPS, Shrooms, Gobies, Mandarin Goby, Sailfin, Hippo, damsels, Clowns
      55 Gallon: Yellow Lab, Electric Blue, Albino Zebra, Yellow tail Acei, Cobalt Blue

Comment

Are you doing fish only? Or reef?
        Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

The guy I got it from had done it FOWLR, but I've already started converting to a reef tank.

Comment

No bio balls then empty sump with skimmer and reactors

Comment

So, just let water enter sump, go through floss, skimmer, reactor and back to tank? No live rock or cheato in sump?

Comment

Originally posted by wildosworld View Post
                So, just let water enter sump, go through floss, skimmer, reactor and back to tank? No live rock or cheato in sump?
                Yes but no floss maybe a sock for a day after a wc but thats is easy as that. If tou have some room do a refugium

Comment

So, if there's no floss, what takes all the crap outta the water? Just the skimmer and reactor?

Comment

What crap in the tank? You can put a sponge right before the pump

Comment

I was referring to debris and randomness..... I know lots of my fish food gets sucked right into the overdlow at feeding time. I'm getting sinking food next time, btw....lol

Comment

I was referring to debris and randomness..... I know lots of my fish food gets sucked right into the overdlow at feeding time. I'm getting sinking food next time, btw....lol
                        Don't feed so much especially with sw fish

Comment

Re: Salt water sump: Bio balls in, or bio balls out? Why?

So, if there's no floss, what takes all the crap outta the water? Just the skimmer and reactor?
                          Micron sock. Normally ran on refugiums, but necessary. If you have a refugium, live rock and macro algae will do just fine.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Skimmer > Refugium

Skimmer + Refugium = Best

Buy 7 micron sock and use one for each day.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                              Skimmer > Refugium

Skimmer + Refugium = Best

Buy 7 micron sock and use one for each day.
                              +1 and you can wash them and reuse. Just make sure you don't wash with detergent or soap.

Comment

Working...
                              X