Sulawesi Shrimp Group Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatcha want?
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Ideally, I'd like some plants and fresh water sponges now, and then some shrimps later....in Aug or Sept. But I'm new to Houston and don't know yet how bad it is to ship shrimps in hot summer. If it's hard to do that, I'd order some shrimps now, too.

For plants, I dare to try OTELYA MESENTERIUM, CHARA Sp. (MINI RED CHERRY WATER PLANT),
      freshwater sponges and etc.

For shrimps, some yellow Cheek, Red Orchid, White Orchid, Harley Queen (I had them before for 10 months), IQ bee, Mini Blue, Cardinal. Probably 5 each, and 5 each of as many other kinds as possible, but the detail and quantity depends on the price. Are you ordering from Aristocramata? Those shrimps are often called by various names. I have their price list from last year, and if you have the same name list, I'll refer shrimps by their naming to avoid confusion.

BTW, I never tried group buy before. How do we share the cost? Who will take care of paper work and custom clearance at the airport?

Thank you.

Comment

I am debating whether I should get 50 spinatas or 25 spinatas and 25 red orchid

Comment

Originally posted by Marika View Post
          Ideally, I'd like some plants and fresh water sponges now, and then some shrimps later....in Aug or Sept. But I'm new to Houston and don't know yet how bad it is to ship shrimps in hot summer. If it's hard to do that, I'd order some shrimps now, too.

For plants, I dare to try OTELYA MESENTERIUM, CHARA Sp. (MINI RED CHERRY WATER PLANT),
          freshwater sponges and etc.

For shrimps, some yellow Cheek, Red Orchid, White Orchid, Harley Queen (I had them before for 10 months), IQ bee, Mini Blue, Cardinal. Probably 5 each, and 5 each of as many other kinds as possible, but the detail and quantity depends on the price. Are you ordering from Aristocramata? Those shrimps are often called by various names. I have their price list from last year, and if you have the same name list, I'll refer shrimps by their naming to avoid confusion.

BTW, I never tried group buy before. How do we share the cost? Who will take care of paper work and custom clearance at the airport?

Thank you.
          I went ahead and placed the order last week. We ordered several things that didn't come in, but did get 120 red orchid shrimp and 120 yellow cheek shrimp. I was pleasantly surprised... overall DOA rate was at ~16%. We distributed them amongst 5 individuals locally. We left a few at Houston Aquarium Warehouse for those that didn't have a chance to get them.

We'll see how it goes amongst those that now have them in their possession. I'm not averse to going it again... we didn't go through Aristocratama.

As far as (my) group buys go... I generally roll everything into a price per unit. As a math professor, i feel fairly comfortable in doing so.I try to overestimate a bit to cover DOA. In some cases, I tell group buy members that the cost went down when they come to pick up the shrimp/fish. These shrimp were a special case... I had no idea how much DOA to expect. Those in this group buy are paying their percentage of the DOA.
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

Nice.. good to know doa was small

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
            N.A.D.A Facebook
            Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

So cardinals and harliquin didn't make it

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
              N.A.D.A Facebook
              Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

I've got cardinals and wasn't about to order harlequins without getting money up front.

If you know something where you can handle harlequins, I'll order you some.

Comment

So I can pick them up at HAW? Do you know how many they have left of the spinata and red orchids?

Comment

Yes. No.

Comment

What types of Sulawesi shrimps came in and how are they doing?

Comment

Red orchid and red goldflakes. I have shrimplets.

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
                          Red orchid and red goldflakes. I have shrimplets.
                          That's good news. I think red orchids are the most difficult to breed, it's almost impossible to get them berried and the babies never seem to survive more than a couple of weeks.

Comment

How are everyone's shrimp doing? I`m slowly wanting to get into other Sulawesi shrimp, other than cardinals.

Comment

Working...
                            X