• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filtration

What type of filtration should I use for a 210 gallon cichild tank

4x fx5

Comment

A 420G sump! LOL! JK! I've always found a wet/dry and canister combo works best. It's best to overfiltrate than to underfiltrate

Comment

LOL, sounds like Tropheus tank logic. I believe the answer is if there is empty space under the tank you need more filtration

To be honest we use a 2262 & 2217 on a Fahaka Puffer 150 and it does a decent job.
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Re: filtration

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
          A 420G sump! LOL! JK! I've always found a wet/dry and canister combo works best. It's best to overfilter than to underfilter
          Agreed. FX5 or 2260/2262 plus wet/dry should cover you got a decent number of fish.

Sent from my Nexus 4
          http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

2x 2260 and a very large wet dry. If there is empty space in the stand you dont have enough filters
            Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

Closed loop 2X2260/62 filled with seachem matrix

Comment

I also use two 2260 modified to 2262's
                215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
                180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
                58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

Comment

Originally posted by SteveCGG View Post
                  I also use two 2260 modified to 2262's
                  Imo the 2262 is not enough contact time for the media. Unless you are wanting a mech filter . Then they are fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by jhenry View Post
                    Imo the 2262 is not enough contact time for the media. Unless you are wanting a mech filter . Then they are fantastic
                    Not so fast Obi-wan. I upgraded two of my 2262 under the 450 to have 1" output side plumbing from pump to outlet in the tank, and that's what was needed to get the water clear again to where it's almost completely haze free now. This basically is the configuration of the Eheim 1264 pump to was sold for a short period of time on the past. I actually slowed these two canisters to 2260 spec and my water quality was worse, even with twice weekly water changes and feeding down to once a day. Upgrading the third canister like that this weekend. Through first-hand experience, I've found that there's unneeded emphasis placed on "contact time".

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
                      Not so fast Obi-wan. I upgraded two of my 2262 under the 450 to have 1" output side plumbing from pump to outlet in the tank, and that's what was needed to get the water clear again to where it's almost completely haze free now. This basically is the configuration of the Eheim 1264 pump to was sold for a short period of time on the past. I actually slowed these two canisters to 2260 spec and my water quality was worse, even with twice weekly water changes and feeding down to once a day. Upgrading the third canister like that this weekend. Through first-hand experience, I've found that there's unneeded emphasis placed on "contact time".
                      Yah but ive watched you clean three of your canisters in that 450 and watch you kill all of them. You might want to learn how to properly clean a canister before you question me. I was cleaning eheims when you were still playing with fluvals

Comment

Yah but ive watched you clean three of your canisters in that 450 and watch you kill all of them. You might want to learn how to properly clean a canister before you question me. I was cleaning eheims when you were still playing with fluvals
                        Killed? Gtfo smelly. Cleaned them with water coming out of the carbon canister at matched temp. Tank water was getting nastier than ever after I followed advice to slow down two canisters to 2260 spec for more "contact time" yeah right.

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
                          Killed? Gtfo smelly. Cleaned them with water coming out of the carbon canister at matched temp. Tank water was getting nastier than ever after I followed advice to slow down two canisters to 2260 spec for more "contact time" yeah right.
                          Yes killed you dont rinse media with clean water carbon filtered or not foo. And you told me that a couple days after that your tank clouded up badly

Comment

Yes killed you dont rinse media with clean water carbon filtered or not foo. And you told me that a couple days after that your tank clouded up badly
                            And why would clean water kill bacteria? Water was getting cloudy before that water change, it got back to being cloudy.

Regardless of the difference of flow rates, isn't water always in "contact" with media inside the canister?

Comment

K thanks every one I was planning to use a fx5 with a powerhead on opposite side for watermovement
                              Last edited by jhenry; 04-06-2013, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X