Trophs and Ick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trophs and Ick

Just wondering how do trophs do with ick ive got a clown loach thats got the white spots all over it and want to be prepared for the worst if the trophs come down with it
    The temp in the tank is at 82 degrees now increasing and added salt so far

Re: Trophs and Ick

don't take care of it and they will die
    ich will not kill a fish directly.
    It does however weaken the immune system to where the slightest stress
    or water imbalance will kill them

best of luck
    Wc Canry Cheek, Lufubu

Comment

I would add salt and raise temp like you're doing. Do you have an idea of what caused it?
      210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
      125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Originally posted by moganman View Post
        I would add salt and raise temp like you're doing. Do you have an idea of what caused it?
        +1 this too. 85f-86f don't be scared
        Wc Canry Cheek, Lufubu

Comment

Go to Wal-Mart, pick up some AP Quick Cure. Treat as instructed.
          http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

I have just got out of a bad case of ick. I used the temp and aquarium salt treatment as suggested. My tank has plants, otocinclus, goldfish, tetra. Now, all these are known to have very low salt tolerance. Well, the entire ick treatment in my case took 14 days (there's a reason for this). I lost the two goldfish. Everything else were fine. All my otocinclus didn't care at all even though they are supposed to have the worst problem with salt. My neon tetras were oblivious to the salt. My plants weren't damaged as much as I thought and are already recovering. The reason why it took 14 days in my case were because I took caution knowing that my fishes don't tolerate salt well. I basically dose the tank with 1 teaspoon of salt per hour till I get the concentration I want at 3 teaspoon for every 5 gallons. The tank were 40 gallons so that was 24 teaspoon. Took me almost 3 days to dose that concentration due to work and sleep. The two goldfish gave in the 4-5 days. I guess they were too far gone and they were not as hardy since they're lionhead. to the 10th day, all ich signs were gone. I waited 4 more days to make sure. then I did a small water change last friday to end the treatment, then another small one 2 days later, then another small one 2 days later until the salt concentration goes down to minimal. That's my story .

Also... it worth to mention that I have a UV sterilizer in my tank, it somewhat control the ich population but really didn't kill them, it just keeps the parasites from reproduce.
            I have the patience of a goldfish....

Comment

Right now its the one loach only not sure what caused it water is fine ive had him the longest of the 6 didnt see them yesterday but the day before he didnt have it and today after.work it was there i spent 10-15 min inspecting all fish he swimming like normal like nothings wrong.....gonna increase the temp tomorrow a lil more

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
                Go to Wal-Mart, pick up some AP Quick Cure. Treat as instructed.
                I read up on it but didnt dind out if its safe for scaleless fish like clown loaches do you know

Comment

from what I read, by 82, ick has a hard time reproduce, by 86 they'll die off. Yeah I didnt use Quick Cure because I couldn't verify if it is safe for scaleless fish. Heat and salt worked for me... I hope it'll work out for you too.
                  I have the patience of a goldfish....

Comment

Originally posted by johnnymisty View Post
                    I read up on it but didnt dind out if its safe for scaleless fish like clown loaches do you know
                    My loaches and plecos did just fine. I didn't treat for ich, just used the formalin in it for other stuff. From what I read, it's one of the best meds for ich.

Comment

Ok good thanks sunny for the info

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone gonna increase the temps today do a small water change and try the quick cure

Comment

Got a bottle of ap quick cure that treats 2000 gallons today got it free from walmart since it didnt ring up with a price and started treatment...... Temps are at 85 now waters a nice blue tint

Comment

See I always laughed when people would ask me why I only kept trophs and petros in my tanks amd nothing else . This is the reason . I never had this problem and never will. I hope all is well in your tank but imo get those loaches out of there and dont have plecos either trophs and petros are algea grazers why have them in there. If you have a snail problem get assassin snails or keep a cleaner tank not to get them in the first place
                            Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

Hey now, I remember picking up a loach or two when I picked up some trophs from you a little while ago

I keep loaches and plecos in my tanks with no issues with diseases. But just like adding a new colony of WC trophs/petros, you have to be careful with quarantining and preventative care.

Comment

Working...
                              X