Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Interest in Forming a New Houston Aquarium Society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lee View Post
    I'm wondering if there are Houston Fish lovers out there who would be interested in forming a new Houston Aquarium Society. I am talking about a club with scheduled meeting dates at a given location. A club with monthly interesting and meaningful programs for their members with substance to them. I'm not talking about some loose new "Fun Club."

The present HAS appears to be nothing more then a business. All I see listed is an auction about every 6 months and an application to fill out to be submitted with their fee. Never a mention of officers. Never a mention of an upcoming meeting. No mention of a real meeting place. If you try and ask questions, you get no real answers. The HAS is about the most secret fish society I have ever encountered. (Tell me when they had their last meeting open to the public that was not an auction)!

I know there is another Greater Houston group but they have no scheduled meetings, officers, common meeting place as they meet in homes and the club is there solely "to have fun". That is all well and good and I have no problem with this. They should keep it up and have a ball. They enjoy that type of group and there is nothing wrong with this view. For them, their lack of structure is just what they desire. Lots of success to them.

However, it's not the type of club I ever belonged to nor wish to become active within. That is just me. I'm just wondering if I am alone in the BIG City of Houston, or are there others who enjoy attending and belonging to a structured Fish Society with First Class programs? If so, I'd like to hear from you. I really could care less about hearing from those enjoying a non structured club and why you like clubs like this. That is your business and I say go for it. I'm interested in hearing from those enjoying membership in an active structured Society as I do.

If there is no interst, my idea can die. I can live with that. If there is an interest, let's see if we can develope the idea into a Real Houston Aquariam Society. I'd be interested in hearing from those wanting to start and belong to such a group. I am 75 years old, cared for fresh water fish on and off for 60 years. I've been a member of some great societies in Milwaukee, Chicago and Kansas City.
    Where should I start? I can't speak for HAS, but your "interst" should at least provide you with the fact that GHAC meets every 3rd Saturday at a volunteering members house. And includes many things, including structured meetings, officers, and...who who'd have thought to include it...fun.
    I agree with some previous posts in saying that some of the best people I have ever met have been though these "unstructured groups" and perhaps you should meet with said groups before you make a judgement call.
    I can also say, I have been born, bred and corn fed in the Midwest- and am feeling more than a little ashamed right now after such a display. There are reasons I moved away- people who are judgmental without reason being topmost.

great to hear from you Fancyfish. I agree with everything you posted. I think, also, the European influence up Norht is a big factor too. Here in Houston Texas the Asian influence is becoming a factor. I have lived in Houston for 28 years, so I've been here for awhile and know of what you speak. Most likely I'll have to have postings at fish shops to see if there is any interest. I just opened a Yahoo group for the sole purpose of finding individuals wanting to form a steering committee to form a new group. I'll also contact the houston Aquarium and see if there is any interest there or help they may provide. For what I can see right now the FISH BOX is populated with a lot of people hostile towards any new group getting off the ground. I'll keep you posted and again thanks for the posting.

Lee
    European influence? Asian influence? I can only assume that you mean to form an ethnically pure 'Aquariam Society'? I, being an eastern european mutt, I can submit birth certificate or lineage proof if you require, to be a officer in your new envisioned club. Perhaps our 'Aquarium Society' can become a weighty group, capable of who knows what... How fun.
    Except...I've come to know many western europeans, asians, africans, south americans, and others who, in our shared 'aquarist' hobby and otherwise....gasp! are worthy of influence. So that scraps that.

Good luck with your new club. I think you have, at whatever age, at whatever stated goals, have started a "pissing contest" you are fated to lose.

I ignored your "state of the hobby" thread, but I can't ignore this. I would just like to say- there are truly GREAT and caring, responsible, mannered, and probably worth meeting people in the hobby that you may never get to know, with an attitude like that. Hope it gets you what you're looking for, but I doubt it. Let me know if I can drive to your house and give you some RCS, or a pump we're not using, or a place to hold your fish during a power outage, because I'll still do it. But... think on what you said. Maybe there are reasons to start your own club, and maybe you've prematurely judged what's in front of you.

Just saying.

Mods- do thy will. I stand by in respect, you know this.
    "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

We have evolved to what we are because of lack of interest. I have tried repeatedly over the last few years to get interest in regular meetings. Everytime I schedule an awesome speaker or event the same half dozen or so people show up. Its embarassing. At some point I'll try to push it again. We actually had a conversation about that today with some long time members and we are all pretty frustrated at the lack of interest. But I travel around this area to auctions and know many of the people primarily running the clubs in this state and beyond. It is always the same, to more or less extent. You have a core group of a few people who attend all the events and a much larger group that goes to auctions. We're going to bring in speakers for FOTAS that should fill any hotel ballroom that we want to rent...and most of the seats will be empty. But come Sunday the auction will be PACKED. Every now and then over the years I've tried to force the issue and do regular meetings with cool speakers...and each time I've gotten the feeling I'm beating my head against the wall. If you'd like to help I can and will welcome it. If you'd like to attend I can and will welcome that too. Its hard to be an all areas encompassing club because those people that are interested in tropical fish as a whole rather that little specific areas of expertise at a time are fewer and fewer. It saddens me a bit but I also realize the hobby is changing. Its probably alot based on the economy but also equal parts of lots more stuff competing for your time, entertainment or otherwise, as well. I will readily admit that I've grown a bit complacent about things. Its kind of hard not to sometimes. When I still have the same general interest in fish that I've always had and I see that sort of thing waning about me its pretty easy to get a little discouraged or complacent. That having been said, we decided today to make another push for the sort of thing you're asking for. I dont have real great hopes for it but I'm dedicated to trying anyway. If you'd like to be a part of it you would be welcome. I'm familiar with the way clubs are run in other parts of the country. I'm familiar with the interest level they have on a continual basis. I have been to HAS events in Houston for over 30 years in one capacity or another. It has never been, at least in that time, like the north or northeast. I'm guessing it never will be perhaps if for no other reason than geography and drive time. It has, consistently, always been a club and area that enjoys auctions and has a high level of attendance for them. I'd be happy to talk some of the history of it with you. I guess I'm bouncing around a little with this, but its late. Hopefully some of this will make sense and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.
      Charles Jones
      http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
      Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Re: Any Interest in Forming a New Houston Aquarium Society?

Question, Lee! Are you racist? White supremacist FTW! We need more White Power! [Insert sarcasm here]. Lol totally skipped over the part about races. You are one funny person gramps. I'm Asian, but at least I don't go off and judge clubs I've never been a part of.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
        Last edited by mistahoo; 02-23-2013, 06:06 AM.

Comment

great to hear from you Fancyfish. I agree with everything you posted. I think, also, the European influence up Norht is a big factor too. Here in Houston Texas the Asian influence is becoming a factor. I have lived in Houston for 28 years, so I've been here for awhile and know of what you speak. Most likely I'll have to have postings at fish shops to see if there is any interest. I just opened a Yahoo group for the sole purpose of finding individuals wanting to form a steering committee to form a new group. I'll also contact the houston Aquarium and see if there is any interest there or help they may provide. For what I can see right now the FISH BOX is populated with a lot of people hostile towards any new group getting off the ground. I'll keep you posted and again thanks for the posting.

Lee
          I don't know what race have do with fish keeping. Your living in the past buddy. I find you very offensive and all I can do is pray for you. not much left to say

Comment

Theres really nothing i can say that hasnt been said already Ive gone to the GHAC & HTPC meeting that im able to attend do to work and its always been a great time. There are officers in the ghac and if youve read Tim has been putting an activities list together for the year with input of what WE all would like to do to. Really you should come out to a meeting before your so judge the group this month is going to be a collection trip and a meeting

Comment

You are in the South... People in the south are laid back. So clubs are going to be laid back. This is a hobby not a business so any organized meeting should be fun duh.
              Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Houston is a very wide and diverse community. While I'm not a member of either club I do pay close attention to the post of substance and I reach out to members that I have common fish keeping interest with.

Yes there is a lot I disagree with and I have let it be known when the bs factor has gotten out of hand IMO.

While forming a club is a given right attacking others for their beliefs in the groups they choose to be members in is unacceptable.

I actually liked your idea for the 1st sentence or two. I'm a 50 something guy and I thought for a brief moment that this might be a group I could relate to based on the age group I saw it attracting.

I'm a member of several forums and while the bs factor isnt allowed on other forms like it is here the true substance of the hobby that is shared is better than any other forum I participate in.

Chill out and look at it for what you want to concentrate on and you will find what's being offered to be very rewarding.

Comment

I just want to point out that the below is from the President of HAS.

Originally posted by marauder_77868 View Post
                  We have evolved to what we are because of lack of interest. I have tried repeatedly over the last few years to get interest in regular meetings. Everytime I schedule an awesome speaker or event the same half dozen or so people show up. Its embarassing. At some point I'll try to push it again. We actually had a conversation about that today with some long time members and we are all pretty frustrated at the lack of interest. But I travel around this area to auctions and know many of the people primarily running the clubs in this state and beyond. It is always the same, to more or less extent. You have a core group of a few people who attend all the events and a much larger group that goes to auctions. We're going to bring in speakers for FOTAS that should fill any hotel ballroom that we want to rent...and most of the seats will be empty. But come Sunday the auction will be PACKED. Every now and then over the years I've tried to force the issue and do regular meetings with cool speakers...and each time I've gotten the feeling I'm beating my head against the wall. If you'd like to help I can and will welcome it. If you'd like to attend I can and will welcome that too. Its hard to be an all areas encompassing club because those people that are interested in tropical fish as a whole rather that little specific areas of expertise at a time are fewer and fewer. It saddens me a bit but I also realize the hobby is changing. Its probably alot based on the economy but also equal parts of lots more stuff competing for your time, entertainment or otherwise, as well. I will readily admit that I've grown a bit complacent about things. Its kind of hard not to sometimes. When I still have the same general interest in fish that I've always had and I see that sort of thing waning about me its pretty easy to get a little discouraged or complacent. That having been said, we decided today to make another push for the sort of thing you're asking for. I dont have real great hopes for it but I'm dedicated to trying anyway. If you'd like to be a part of it you would be welcome. I'm familiar with the way clubs are run in other parts of the country. I'm familiar with the interest level they have on a continual basis. I have been to HAS events in Houston for over 30 years in one capacity or another. It has never been, at least in that time, like the north or northeast. I'm guessing it never will be perhaps if for no other reason than geography and drive time. It has, consistently, always been a club and area that enjoys auctions and has a high level of attendance for them. I'd be happy to talk some of the history of it with you. I guess I'm bouncing around a little with this, but its late. Hopefully some of this will make sense and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.
                  Guppies:
                  Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
                  Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
                  HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Any Interest in Forming a New Houston Aquarium Society?

This might be a good time to thank Tim and Charles for all they have done for the fish hobby in Houston... So thanks guys! Probably doesn't get said near often enough.
                    135 gal Fahaka Puffer
                    150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
                    185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

For those of you accusing this guy of racism; I respectfully suggest you are wrong. What he said ” I think, also, the European influence up Norht is a big factor too. Here in Houston Texas the Asian influence is becoming a factor” is not a racist statement. It is a statement of what he perceives as a fact.

I am not racist. I am not bigoted. I don’t care if you are black, Asian, space alien, werewolf, or whatever. I don’t care what religion you practice, I don’t care what sex partners you prefer. That said, I agree there is an Asian influence in the fish hobby in Houston. This is not a negative statement!!!! I noticed when I went to fish stores 20 years ago that many were owned by Asian people. That seems true today though I can no longer go to fish stores as I would like. Getting old is a pain. J An ethnic group can influence something AND SAYING THAT THEY DID IS NOT A NEGATIVE STATEMENT NOR IS IT RACIST.

I raise fancy guppies (among other things). I am amazed at what some of the Asian/Oriental breeders have produced. They are just awesome and I envy them their skill. Other ethnic cultures have done amazing work as well.

Those of you who are quick to say that his two sentences are racist, bigoted and hateful, step back. Read them again. And consider, if statements like that are considered racist and bigoted, then we can never have a real conversation, nor acknowledge the many things the different races of our world have done.

And for those criticizing his spelling; the man is 70 years old. He did not grow up using a computer. And the posting section does not have spell check.
                      Guppies:
                      Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
                      Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
                      HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

All other comments aside, I would like an outline of what you are looking for as a new club. What you don't seem to like in the existing ones are our behaviors & geographical backgrounds.

As a member of GHAC I have met some awesome people, whom you have insulted without basis or merit & you've whittled your potential member base down by quite a bit by doing so. That's your right, but I don't understand why you felt the need to word that the way you did when what you're looking for is members to join your club.

It seems to me that what you're looking for is very rigid. I know you said you weren't interested in hearing any comments that weren't in your favor & rest assured I'm not going to judge you, even though by making a broad statement about GHAC, you judged me. That said, this is the South & I am a native. We are not rigid by nature, we treat friends as family & take immediate offense when someone balks at our Southern hospitality.

Yes, GHAC has meetings at members houses. Yes, most of the time we have unstructured fun. Yes, we help each other (fish related or not). Yes, we form long lasting bonds & friendships. Yes, we wander around each others houses looking at each other's set ups, sit on each other's couches, etc. Yes, we have a meeting while doing all of the above. Opening your home to people is just customary in the South.

Above all else, we're a community & we care about the HUMAN factor as well as our fish. As with any community we are going to have our faults but we work through them AS A COMMUNITY. I, personally, don't see this as a bad thing. I have helped & given freely to many & many have done the same for me. Like JustDoIt said, we pay it forward. I wholeheartedly agree that one day you're going to need help & regardless of what you've said here, we're going to extend a hand & help you because that's who we are.

How is that bad?

I'm not a member of HAS so I cannot speak on their behalf, but I am a member of this forum & GHAC.

Perhaps you should clarify what you're looking for in a new club without bashing another. Maybe draw up a rigid outline with expected behaviors. No laughing, no forming friendships, no going to each other's houses, no helping one another, keep it strictly on topic & about fish? Please clarify. I have no interest but maybe it will help someone else.
                        180g - 2 Red Oscars, 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 JD, Convicts, convicts & more convicts
                        75g - 1 Silver Aro, 1 Mean Koi Angel
                        50g - Various platy & mollies
                        10g - 1 Green Spotted Puffer

Comment

Wow this is the most interesting thread that has come up in sometime. Let's see we have childish name calling crazy accusations. The funny thing is Mr. Lee never really came out and "bashed" anything although I do understand the need to defend one's club at what point do we step back and actually read without any emotional connects because in realty its the emotional ego that was brusied by Mr. Lee's words and when your on the outside looking in it doesn't appear that he has in malice or evil intentions. It just seems as though GHAC is just not his cup of tea. And by no means am I condonning what he has said I'm simply saying from the outside looking in it doesn't seem that bad.
                          125g: Empty For Now
                          90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
                          Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

I tried reading with perspective, an open mind & without emotion. I didn't call him any names or accuse him of anything. I'm not one to tear into someone unless it's personal. I posted for 2 reasons.

1. He felt the need to point out what he sees as flaws in other clubs & expected the club's members to remain silent. He asked that no one reply that didn't agree with him, yet he stirred the pot. Of course that's going to ruffle some feathers, which is obvious.

2. It's not clear what he wants other than a more rigid, hard nosed, serious club.

Him pointing out what he sees as unstructured, etc. wasn't needed. If he wishes to start a new club in town all he had to do was say so, outline what benefit the new club would be to the fish community & be done with it. All that other stuff wasn't necessary.

We discuss things. It's what we should do as a community to grow & to learn. When I post, I appreciate everyone's input; good, bad or indifferent but this is his thread. GHAC nor HAS are his cup of tea, nor do I think he has evil or malicious intentions, on that we agree but it's not necessary to make negative assumptions or remarks about the existing clubs nor their members to get his point across either.
                            180g - 2 Red Oscars, 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 JD, Convicts, convicts & more convicts
                            75g - 1 Silver Aro, 1 Mean Koi Angel
                            50g - Various platy & mollies
                            10g - 1 Green Spotted Puffer

Comment

I think Lee should just clarify what he meant about the different influences so we can clear up this whole thing and either dismiss him as a racist old man or just a guy who may not be as politically correct and eloquent as some of us.
                              45G Cichlid and Turtle

Comment

At the end of the day what it all boils down to is that he voice his opinion about the clubs here in Houston.Some people like the clubs the way they are and some don't. Now it is still my opinion that "and I could be wrong" nothing malice or malicious was said other than he didn't want to hear anything negative, but this is all a mute point because we WE SHOULD ALL BE ADULT ENOUGH NOT LET OPINIONS HURT ONES FEELINGS
                                125g: Empty For Now
                                90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
                                Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Working...
                                X