Stocking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stocking question

We're setting up a 65g and know we want yellow labs and demansoni. How many of each can/should we have and are there any other species that would go good with them?

Thanks for the help!
    Karen

That will be a nice combo of colors. I prefer the Flavus over the yellow lab, but I would pack them. I do about 30 demasoni and 20 or more yellow labs.
    210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
    125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

I wanted the demasoni and my partner wanted the labs, so that's why those two. Thanks for the suggestion on how many :)
      Karen

Comment

50 fish in a 65 gallon tank? Yellow labs can get pretty big and the demasoni are a lot more aggressive than advertised.

Most times I've seen demasoni has been in a species only tank.

Hopefully Jacob will chime in on this.

Comment

Re: Stocking question

I assumed I would start out with "too many" juvies and as they grew and could be sexed up I'd have to remove some, but I'd like to be sure of the right amount to start with.

I'd also appreciate and suggestions on a third species to keep if it's reasonable to do so.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
          Karen

Comment

I once had 40 demasoni in a 40 gallon breeder. No problems. Just a bunch of breeding.
            210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
            125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

What about a tough snyo cat for the bottom to help with the clean up. A few mutipunctatus would look very nice in there. And for the stocking id go with a 15/20 ratio! 15 demons, and 20 labs. That way ur more aggressive ones have less numbers and u still got a good amount going on. But id definitely consider a bottom feeder. Just my opinion there
              5 gal baby hecqui grow out
              7 gal baby compressicps
              14 bio cube fry tank, multies-orange leleupi-telmatochromis
              4 tank rack- 30 cubes. Shellies, mulities-brevis-telmatochromis-caudopunctaus
              100 gal mixed community tank
              125 Tropheus black bembas

Tanngankia cichlids what else

Comment

I like the idea of a syno cat. I wanted a bottom feeder, but just wasn't sure if I could have one or not.
                Karen

Comment

I'll have some yellow lab fry soon if you want to raise them up!
                  90 gallon reef: Softies, LPS, Shrooms, Gobies, Mandarin Goby, Sailfin, Hippo, damsels, Clowns
                  55 Gallon: Yellow Lab, Electric Blue, Albino Zebra, Yellow tail Acei, Cobalt Blue
                  40 Gallon: Demasoni Breeding Colony
                  30 Gallon: Grow out fry tank
                  10 Gallon: Fry Tank

Comment

Re: Stocking question

Originally posted by wildosworld View Post
                    I'll have some yellow lab fry soon if you want to raise them up!
                    Awesome, thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy S3
                    Karen

Comment

Yes most definitely a cat would be a good addition to a cichlids tank.
                      5 gal baby hecqui grow out
                      7 gal baby compressicps
                      14 bio cube fry tank, multies-orange leleupi-telmatochromis
                      4 tank rack- 30 cubes. Shellies, mulities-brevis-telmatochromis-caudopunctaus
                      100 gal mixed community tank
                      125 Tropheus black bembas

Tanngankia cichlids what else

Comment

Working...
                      X