New tank scape design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tank scape design

I'm wanting to go in a direction I've never gone before.

I'm wanting to convert my 75 to a river estuary type design i guess is the best way to describe it.

I have 7 or 8 clown loaches that will be part of it.

I'm seeing a lot of cool pleco postings as well.

I haven't messed with any drift wood in years but know i'll need quite a bit for my new design.

What type of fish best work with something like this? I'm thinking different types of Tetras or such.

I do want some unique schooling fish with a few odd ball individual fish to break it up.

Bring on the suggestions.

I have a pair of hujeta pike if you're interested.

But to list some that would look nice
    Rainbows
    Neons
    Hatchet fish
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hmmm, if your going for a biotope set up... Malaysian driftwood, Some Filament/Roseline/flying barbs. Use some Crypts to accentuate the wood and they don't mind low light. Nandus and Chaka Catfish are both found in the same locations they are caught in. Honey Gouramis and Pearl Gourami are bothe caught nearby and some wild type Betta species are caught with them. Pikeheads are caught in their softer water areas, but are tough to keep in hard water tanks, so I'd avoid them. halfbeaks and some of the newer danios (Choprae) would look nice in the upper portions.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

A school of Elephant Fish.
        I really like the Red Piranha but I don't think you can have them here. I also like glass tetras.
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
          I also like glass tetras.
          Very cool idea, maybe some Humphead Glassfish... They look interesting and are not seen in schools very often
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

Nice two hours after posting and some awesome suggestions have been made.

After being so involved with Tanganyikan's for so long i'm looking foward to stepping outside the box.

My 1st move is removing the sand and replacing it with Caribe sea Peace river or Amazon 1-3mm substrate.

Keep the suggestions rolling.

What's the best wood that won't give off tannins?

Comment

I'd use Malaysian root wood as its specific to your tank theme, but Manzanita looks good as well. Tannins will always be an issue. Always use Purigen in your canisters and it will never be a problem. Just have another for swap out and recharging and you'll be set and never use the word tannin again. Magic little beans....
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

Tomorrow I'm going to City Pets for new substrate.

Where can I look for manzanita or Malaysian wood?

Anybody here have some they want to sell?
                Last edited by danielp; 02-08-2013, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Re: New tank scape design

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                  I have a pair of hujeta pike if you're interested.

But to list some that would look nice
                  Rainbows
                  Neons
                  Hatchet fish
                  Mmmm... hatchet fish. Good idea.

Malaysian and manzanita have slightly different design aesthetics. I find manzanita to be more versatile.
                  Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                  Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                  Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                  Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                    Very cool idea, maybe some Humphead Glassfish... They look interesting and are not seen in schools very often
                    Having seen these in person... omfg! It would be beautiful!
                    First time seeing them was at Navarros place and it was beautiful

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
                    Mmmm... hatchet fish. Good idea.

Malaysian and manzanita have slightly different design aesthetics. I find manzanita to be more versatile.
                    I agree, manzanita is easier to work with.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hatchet fish are a go.

Hump head glass fish. Very cool looking. Where do you find such a fish?

Will start looking for manzanita wood. I want to stage it like a tree branch with lots of limbs fell in the water.

Comment

I think I saw some of the hump heads at fish gallery
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yeah, FG was the place I saw them at awhile ago. I'm sure you could talk to Don and see about getting some in. On the positive side, you'll be one of the few in town who has them....

For Manzanita, you could hit up HAW or ADG. I think they both have some in stock
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

I definately plan on stopping at FG today and talking with Don.

Comment

Fish gallery had 4 hump heads left. Unique looking for sure bigger than I imagined them to be.

Bought 4 Tapajos from Don instead. Will pick up some hatchet fish on Monday.

Want to add a few more Tapajos.

Found some really nice manzanita wood. Kind of pricey have to go back for it.

Switched my substrate out this afternoon. Need to clean my canister filter tomorrow.

What kind of schooling fish is going to work with the Tapajos?

Don had some Von rio tetras that ive always liked.

Comment

Working...
                              X