Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 540mm f/2.8 VRII

Originally posted by photogdude View Post
    Funny, the whole point of those smaller camera's is to have smaller lenses. and look what you did
    I think he wants to be Newton watching apples fall...
    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Funny, the whole point of those smaller camera's is to have smaller lenses. and look what you did
      Not true at all. The reason I got the V1 was not because of it being smaller (I already have m4/3 system for that), but the reason I got it is because of the 2.7x crop factor. It essentially gives me extra reach without lose of resolution.

In order for me to get the same reach on my D800 with the same resolution, I would have to buy a 400mm f/2.8 and use the 1.5x crop factor. This option would of cost me about an extra $9000!

With V1, I can use my existing 70-200 f/2.8 lens and get similar reach/performance and still pocket about $8500 for the trip
      Last edited by Hangman; 01-03-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hangman View Post
        Not true at all. The reason I got the V1 was not because of it being smaller (I already have m4/3 system for that), but the reason I got it is because of the 2.7x crop factor. It essentially gives me extra reach without lose of resolution.

In order for me to get the same reach on my D800 with the same resolution, I would have to buy a 400mm f/2.8 and use the 1.5x crop factor. This option would of cost me about an extra $9000!

With V1, I can use my existing 70-200 f/2.8 lens and get similar reach/performance and still pocket about $8500 for the trip

Theoretically yes, but in reality not really. your 200mm lens, (or any lens) projects an image of a scene, at a specific size at a specific distance, no matter what camera it is on. I'm pretty sure this is called the image circle. The point is, the size of that circle is fixed. By putting it on your V1, your just getting a smaller portion of that circle as opposed to the d800.

so the d800 sensor has 7360 x4192 pixels the v1 has 3872 x2592, so to do a real comparison(not exact but fairly close), you would need to take a subject, with both cameras and same lens, not move the camera to subject distance, then crop the d800 image to the same amount of pixels as the v1 to see how it crops. i'm not saying they will be exactly the same, but it would be interesting.

Comment

Theoretically yes, but in reality not really. your 200mm lens, (or any lens) projects an image of a scene, at a specific size at a specific distance, no matter what camera it is on. I'm pretty sure this is called the image circle. The point is, the size of that circle is fixed. By putting it on your V1, your just getting a smaller portion of that circle as opposed to the d800.

so the d800 sensor has 7360 x4192 pixels the v1 has 3872 x2592, so to do a real comparison(not exact but fairly close), you would need to take a subject, with both cameras and same lens, not move the camera to subject distance, then crop the d800 image to the same amount of pixels as the v1 to see how it crops. i'm not saying they will be exactly the same, but it would be interesting.

What you are saying is right, a 200mm is 200mm. Given your exact scenario, the same distance and same lens, that is the exact reason why the V1 would show more resolution at the same FOV. Whats different here is the FOV and the resolution of that FOV you get in the final image. If you crop the D800 to get the equivalent FOV as you would get from the V1, you would have a lot less resolution in the cropped D800 image vs what you would get from the V1.

The image from the D800 cropped to the same FOV would result in an image that is approximately 2725 x 1552 which only gives you 4.2MP instead of the V1's 10MP image you would get of the same FOV.

If like you say to crop the D800 to the same pixels as the V1, then the resulting FOV is different and you would have an image with a FOV that is "wider" than the V1.

Given that if both cameras where taken at the same distance to subject and with same settings, and the only difference is to crop the image from the D800 to get the same field of view, the D800 would be at a lose for resolution. And since the distance to subjetc is the same, there is no difference in DOF either. The resulting image would be the same DOF, since what we are doing here is just cropping basically the same image projected by the same lens. Now if you put a different lens on the D800 to get the same FOV without changing the distance, then the D800 starts to show lots of advantages with resolution, and also DOF since now the actual focal length has changed and a different image is projected by the different lens.
          Last edited by Hangman; 01-03-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

What you are saying is right, a 200mm is 200mm. Given your exact scenario, the same distance and same lens, that is the exact reason why the V1 would show more resolution at the same FOV. Whats different here is the FOV and the resolution of that FOV you get in the final image. If you crop the D800 to get the equivalent FOV as you would get from the V1, you would have a lot less resolution in the cropped D800 image vs what you would get from the V1.

The image from the D800 cropped to the same FOV would result in an image that is approximately 2725 x 1552 which only gives you 4.2MP instead of the V1's 10MP image you would get of the same FOV.
            I believe you, but i am curious as to how you got those numbers.

my point is fov is fairly(not completly) but fairly irrelevant , cause you're basically going to be as close to your subject as possible, like when your at the zoo or on safari or sports for that matter, so a 200 mm lens is a 200 mm lens, and by putting in on a smaller sensor your just cropping a larger sensor.

i'm sure no matter which camera you use you pics will be great and we're all looking forward to seeing them

Comment

Thanks Photogdude :) I am still testing the V1 to see if it would be a good tool for the trip as well, so I'm still not sure I will bring it along with me if it does not add much value. The trip is still several months aways so the equipment list could still change drastically when the time comes :grin:

Comment

Thanks Photogdude :) I am still testing the V1 to see if it would be a good tool for the trip as well, so I'm still not sure I will bring it along with me if it does not add much value. The trip is still several months aways so the equipment list could still change drastically when the time comes :grin:

i would definitely bring a backup camera

Comment

Thx. I will definitely have a backup or two, just don't know which one yet.

Also, I made a slight error in calculating the MP of a D800 image cropped to the same FOV as the V1. Its actually 4.87MP instead of 4.2MP.
                  The D800 sensor size is 35.9mm x 24mm and produces a image with 7360 x 4912. Which means that the ratio is 205pixels per mm (L and W). If you take the center 13.2mm x 8.8mm (size of the V1 sensor) you get an image that is 2706 x 1801 pixels, giving you a resolution of 4.87MP. So the V1 would produce the same FOV image in 10MP vs a 4.87MP image from the D800.

Comment

Thx. I will definitely have a backup or two, just don't know which one yet.

Also, I made a slight error in calculating the MP of a D800 image cropped to the same FOV as the V1. Its actually 4.87MP instead of 4.2MP.
                    The D800 sensor size is 35.9mm x 24mm and produces a image with 7360 x 4912. Which means that the ratio is 205pixels per mm (L and W). If you take the center 13.2mm x 8.8mm (size of the V1 sensor) you get an image that is 2706 x 1801 pixels, giving you a resolution of 4.87MP. So the V1 would produce the same FOV image in 10MP vs a 4.87MP image from the D800.

you are correct, the numbers are good. But just remember, don't rely on the number's alone
                    the math might be correct but numbers do lie

Comment

Working...
                    X