Tropheus water ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropheus water ?

Wondering how some of u guys set ur water for these guys. I know they are prone to bloat. But just curious about some water im gonna use.

So gonna use tap. Figure lake fish do fine on hard water, and tend to like it more. Conditioned with prime. Now heres where i mix in some extra stuff i add some Epsom salt , teamed up with seachems Tanganyika buffer. Ph raises up to about 8.8 to 9.0 ! Iv had really good luck with this mix and notice a difference in color and breeding seems to be going well in all the tanks.

So has anyone kept tropheus in water with high ph and these sort of water parameters ?
    5 gal baby hecqui grow out
    7 gal baby compressicps
    14 bio cube fry tank, multies-orange leleupi-telmatochromis
    4 tank rack- 30 cubes. Shellies, mulities-brevis-telmatochromis-caudopunctaus
    100 gal mixed community tank
    125 Tropheus black bembas

Tanngankia cichlids what else

Re: Tropheus water ?

In my opinion, anything more than Epsom salt is an unneeded expense, and some will say even Epsom salt is not needed.

What's key is consistency so a long as you can get all the concentrations spot-on every time and don't mind the cost, go ahead.

Also, I've read where ppl mix Epsom salt and baking soda 1:1 and use that as a cheaper alternative to the rift lake buffers. Again, consistency is key.

As far as water going into the tank, I filter mine through a carbon bottle and add a dose of Seachem Safe as a back up. Water comes out around 7.6 - 7.8 every time and my fish are thriving in it now.
    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Re: Tropheus water ?

+ 1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Comment

I dont have a carbon bottle yet i just use str8 tap h2o and started using safe recently over prime ph is any where between 8.0-8.2

Comment

So is safe better than prime as far as getting fish into breeding condition?
          125g: Empty For Now
          90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
          Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Safe is basically Prime in concentrated powder form. It's also cheaper on the long run if you're changing a lot of tank water.

Comment

Houston tap = troph/ petro water.
              With my old trews, dubs, and golden kasumbas, I just did straight tap with amquel +.
              The hardness and high ph of our water is just about perfect for tangs.
              FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

The people who have issues with tropheus are the ones that over complicate things. Clean water and quality food.

Comment

Well said. KISS applies here big time. But, if it's something you can do consistently and long term, then I see no harm. But most folks can't handle that and the params fluctuate and fish can suffer.

Donovan should be able to pull this off though, seems to be a diligent guy.

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, trophs and petros are not hard.
                    As sunny stated, KISS is a good rule of thumb.
                    They are easy to keep, UNTIL something goes wrong, as in overcomplicating it, stability,consistency, flow, filtration and good food, and massive water changes are really the biggest things to keep up.
                    Oh and large supply of clout is essential, you don't want to be scrambling to get it if and when something goes wrong.
                    And its more of a when than an if with trophs.
                    FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Thanks guys was just kinda curious about it.
                      5 gal baby hecqui grow out
                      7 gal baby compressicps
                      14 bio cube fry tank, multies-orange leleupi-telmatochromis
                      4 tank rack- 30 cubes. Shellies, mulities-brevis-telmatochromis-caudopunctaus
                      100 gal mixed community tank
                      125 Tropheus black bembas

Tanngankia cichlids what else

Comment

I use the mixture as you all do except I add tsp of instant ocean to the mix per 5g of new h20. I agree that as long as the program enters stay the same, you will not have any problems. My ph is always at 8.0. Everyone seems happy and the colors always look great.
                        120g
                        Red Rainbows tropheus
                        90g
                        Assorted Male Malawi Cichlids
                        125g
                        Moshi Mahale
                        Nkonde Fasciolatus Yellow
                        petrochromis Sp. Blue Giant

Comment

Working...
                        X