Clean up crew? Amano shrimps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Clean up crew? Amano shrimps!

Battling algae and I haven't fully stocked my planted tank yet. Would love to pickup some amano shrimps maybe some other shrimp thatll help clean algae. I have assasin snail so I dont think any other snails would last.

Text me 832 798 7552

Large nerites could work. FG was selling a bunch of Amanos for $4 ea and there was a few members that posted some up earlier. Best way to battle algae, imo, is to pack the tank with tons of plants even if they're not what you want. They'll take up nutrients and inhibit algae growth.

Comment

Fish land has them some times. Give them a call.
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
        Large nerites could work. FG was selling a bunch of Amanos for $4 ea and there was a few members that posted some up earlier. Best way to battle algae, imo, is to pack the tank with tons of plants even if they're not what you want. They'll take up nutrients and inhibit algae growth.
        I'm debating just throwing hornwort up top in the mean time but being a tall tank I don't want to block light anymore than I have to. I have found them at that LFS's but being at $4 ea. and they won't reproduce, I'm not liking them. The guy I had planned on buying quite a few didn't come through. How do other shrimp compare in their cleaning abilities? I don't really want big snails in my tank :(

Comment

Amanos are the best for clean up crew. After that, any dwarf shrimp of the high order will work, but not as good. I've got a large nerite, but it's about the size of a quarter. He cleans up good and the assassins don't touch him. I might get a few more of them. You could stick the hornwort in your substrate if you want. It'll be a huge nitrate/ammonia/nutrient sink. That way it won't block out light. Also Amanos can breed, but you gotta condition them and you need saltwater for the larvae.

Comment

Well if I add hornwort to absorb nutrients, how do you keep it from starving the other plants?

I'm getting a timer for my lights which I know should've been one of my first purchases so hopefully that'll help as well.

Comment

floaters like frogbit, duckweed, RRF, watermoss are good nutrient hoggers. They grow very fast and they're fairly easy to control as they..... float on the surface so you can just take them out when they start blocking too much light. hornwort can get very messy in my experience.
              I have the patience of a goldfish....

Comment

You can do a lot to battle algae, the best thing is start where the problem is. Bring down your Phosphate.
                Nutrients is good for your plants to grow on. You can get some more plants for your tank also cut down on feedings and important your light exposure.
                Lots of times when ppl have to battle algae is because of they cutting corners on investing in the right plants from the beginning.
                Cycle your tank from the beginning, having a good biological filter with at least 5x or more turn over on the total volume of your tank.
                Not to much live stock (1" of fish per 10gallons to start out with) That is not much but you can ad slowly the livestock to your tank that you want.
                Of course don't take me wrong, you ask this question you get different answers.
                It work for me for the last 30+ years and I learned from the best (Dutch and German aquariums)
                You will learn and sometimes the hard way.
                If you have a budget it mind to start a planted tank and you wanna do it the right way triple that budget.
                Amano shrimp works only in a established planted tank.
                I had plenty in my tanks and yes they do multiply only when they feel happy.
                I have them breeding by the hunderds in my koi ponds as many ppl on here know.
                Cherrie reds will help you too battle some algea.
                Still my advise is battle the phosphate first.
                Good luck.
                3 site starphire 202 gallon, 72"x27"24" reef/SPS tank, powered by ECOtech and fueled by Acro Power aka Coral Crack!

Exercise Daily.................Walk with the Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by bikeguru View Post
                  You can do a lot to battle algae, the best thing is start where the problem is. Bring down your Phosphate.
                  Nutrients is good for your plants to grow on. You can get some more plants for your tank also cut down on feedings and important your light exposure.
                  Lots of times when ppl have to battle algae is because of they cutting corners on investing in the right plants from the beginning.
                  Cycle your tank from the beginning, having a good biological filter with at least 5x or more turn over on the total volume of your tank.
                  Not to much live stock (1" of fish per 10gallons to start out with) That is not much but you can ad slowly the livestock to your tank that you want.
                  Of course don't take me wrong, you ask this question you get different answers.
                  It work for me for the last 30+ years and I learned from the best (Dutch and German aquariums)
                  You will learn and sometimes the hard way.
                  If you have a budget it mind to start a planted tank and you wanna do it the right way triple that budget.
                  Amano shrimp works only in a established planted tank.
                  I had plenty in my tanks and yes they do multiply only when they feel happy.
                  I have them breeding by the hunderds in my koi ponds as many ppl on here know.
                  Cherrie reds will help you too battle some algea.
                  Still my advise is battle the phosphate first.
                  Good luck.
                  I have very very very minimal livestock, 3 siamese algae eaters and a couple assassin snails. I set it up with just a few plants to begin its cycle. I was pretty patient and would test the water every once in a while but it was easily a month before I added any fish. I would just keep adding plants.

My lighting times is probably the issue and not having the tank stuffed with plants as well. I plan on getting pressurized co2 in the near future and adding amano and yellow shrimps asap and working on my lighting. Should help it balance out.

So you gonna let me get some of your amano shrimp? :)

Comment

just make sure to add fast growing plant because they are more effective in controlling nutrient. and if you already have 3 SAE you don't need much more clean up crew.

Comment

2 are MIA for past couple days :(

Comment

that is really strange.... my SAE is always swimming around doing thing.... they aren't shy

Comment

1 is still pretty much always active and visible

Comment

Bumped an old thread on algae for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X