No announcement yet.

KISS FOWLR - Equipment & Stocking Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Careful with the mandarin, they have a bad rep thriving in captivity.

Check on marshreef, there's a guy selling bonded pairs of seahorses.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks, Q. I did my homework on the mandarin (read all the nightmares & successes on HFB & online at random places) & it's gonna be a chore, as are the seahorses, but I'm willing to give it a try for Brandon. Gonna get some pods in a bottle and get that started today. Will wait a few more weeks & then try to find one already eating locally. Called Live Aquaria & talked to them about all of the stock/feeding as well. I don't have an account on MarshReef. I'll make one today & check it out.
      180g - 2 Red Oscars, 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 JD, Convicts, convicts & more convicts
      75g - 1 Silver Aro, 1 Mean Koi Angel
      50g - Various platy & mollies
      10g - 1 Green Spotted Puffer

Comment

very jealous!!!!!!!
        I have the patience of a goldfish....

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
          Check on marshreef, there's a guy selling bonded pairs of seahorses.
          He sold them already. :(

Comment

After visiting and talking to 3 different LFS today, I learned that pods in a bottle aren't really that effective & only have a shelf live of about a week for the Tisbe, which is what Live Aquaria said I needed for the chosen stock. All things considered & tired from driving all over the place, I ended up buying him 3 Domino Damsels from Ultimate Fish today to get the live pod cycle started. They said once I see the pods that I was more than welcome to bring the Damsels back since they're not the stock of his choice. Very nice of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ScorpiosWife View Post
              After visiting and talking to 3 different LFS today, I learned that pods in a bottle aren't really that effective & only have a shelf live of about a week for the Tisbe, which is what Live Aquaria said I needed for the chosen stock. All things considered & tired from driving all over the place, I ended up buying him 3 Domino Damsels from Ultimate Fish today to get the live pod cycle started. They said once I see the pods that I was more than welcome to bring the Damsels back since they're not the stock of his choice. Very nice of them.

curious to know what explanation they gave you as to how adding 3 fish would increase pod population.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

No idea! I didn't know any better but now I have 3 cute little fish, lol.

Comment

Be careful adding other fish with those dominoe damsels they get mean as hell we have one that kills any new fish we try to add gonna catch his lil but and get rid of him

Comment

Thanks, Johnny. I don't plan on keeping them forever. Probably just a few months (or less depending on if I can find what I really want locally). It's not what he wants for his tank but at least now there's something in it & he's not staring at emptyness, lol. From what I read about the stock he wants they need an established Tisbe copepod culture, so unless someone has some they wanna get rid of I guess I'm going this route.

On that note, does anyone know where I can get this locally? Shipping is more than the stuff costs!

This is really the route I wanted to go in the first place before buying the Damsels yesterday. This is supposed to be the go-to copepod for seahorses & mandarin gobys. It has a very short shelf life so just randomly going to LFS was unsuccessful.

Comment

I would just get some chaeto and throw it in the tank for a week. You can put it in the HOB filter later, with a little light, or just remove it altogether. It will seed your rock with pods/stars/etc... and it's typically given away.

I've purchased all of the varieties of "pods in a bottle" before. They don't do any better than a handful of chaeto from a buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by flipside View Post
                        I would just get some chaeto and throw it in the tank for a week. You can put it in the HOB filter later, with a little light, or just remove it altogether. It will seed your rock with pods/stars/etc... and it's typically given away.

I've purchased all of the varieties of "pods in a bottle" before. They don't do any better than a handful of chaeto from a buddy.
                        +1 for the chaeto. Hangman was giving away some before that was loaded with pods.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                          +1 for the chaeto. Hangman was giving away some before that was loaded with pods.
                          Sweet. I just hit Hangman up. On my way to his place now. Giggity! LOL

Comment

Atta girl. K.I.S.S.

Comment

Originally posted by flipside View Post
                              Atta girl. K.I.S.S.
                              ^^ that! K.I.S.S. :)

Thanks for the advice. I got some little bugs on me putting the cheato into the HOB. I think it's the first time I've not wanted to squish one, lol.

Comment

Just curious, but why not put the chaeto in the tank first? That way the pods get all over the place and then put the chaeto in the HOB?

Comment

Working...
                                X