Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Terror Cichlid breeding tips

Hi fish friends,

up till now, I have been keeping fish just because I really enjoy them. I am thinking about getting into breeding and out of all my fish, I think I would like to breed Green Terrors. They are one of my favorite fish and while some find them very aggressive, I have not experienced that with mine at all.

Sooooo, my question is .... Has anyone bred these guys and if so, what are some tips you might pass on to me?

Thanks,
    Michelle

I'am far from an expert but I've done quite a bit of research on cichlid breeding and it seems like they are all very similar when it comes to spawning behaviors.

Have you been able to sex the ones you currently have?
    Have they ever exhibited spawning behaviors before?
    Lastly, do you have another tank that you could transfer them to?

Having a relatively large stock of other cichlids it may be a challenge to initiate appropriate spawning conditions whilst keeping the other fish comfortable.

Comment

I have never bred GTs but I now a little about breeding fish. You will need their own tank. I like using a 55g. you will need to have brine shrimp hatchery and maybe a micro worm setup. some you have to start with braking down plant matter. For get what they call it but its easy to do. but all that is to feed fry.

You put them in a tank by them selfs. Give them good water and all the things they like in nature to spawn on... They have to do the rest...
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Green terrors are great vibrant (both color and personality) fish! Good choice.

Aside from the basics (flat rock or slate, warmer temperature around 80F) after they hatch in 2 days, the parents pretty much take good care of the babies.

I've had success just crushing up flakes as fry food. I've also used bbs on third batch but also with flakes as it worked first time.

Just a heads up, cover your filter intake with a sponge or something... Don't ask me how I figured out this "common sense" technique. Haha

Comment

As stated above, I have used crushed flake and it worked well.
          The best mix I have found as far as growth for fry was crushed flake, nls .5mm pellet, and powdered nls algae wafer.
          After the fry are free swimming I used mysis shrimp and chopped frozen bloodworms.
          FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

They are easy to breed, my breeder setups always consisted of a standard 55g one slate tile maybe 6".
            Several fake floating plants anchored to one end, and driftwood one the opposite side.
            For filtration I generally like to double up, I used a good sized canister, either eheim 2217, rena xp3, or fluval 405 in conjunction with a large hob, ideally an ac110 or emperor 400.
            Pool filter sand substrate a small circulation pump aimed close to the bottom to keep debris suspended.
            And for lighting a single t8.

Hope this helps.
            FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Working...
            X