This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips and Tricks using common household items

I'm always interested to hear what common household items people use with/in/for their tanks. I'll post a few I use. Some are really common, but some are things I've never seen anyone else use.

1. I use a back-scratcher to stir the sand so I don't get pockets of muck anyplace.
    2. I use pantyhose for media bags, and I also put it on the end of my syphon during water changes to keep fish from being sucked into it.
    3. I use epson salt to sooth digestion problems the fish have (constipation and bloating).
    4. I use razor blades to clean algae from the glass.
    5. I use colored zip ties on my cords to ID what plug is what (red for heater, blue for filter, yellow for lights, etc).
    6. I've use paper clips and fabric for a temporary background while deciding what I'll do for a more permanent solution. (poke the paperclips through the corners of a piece of fabric, then hook the paperclips over the back of the tank to hold the fabric in place...also good for trying out different background colors)
    7. Clip a fan to the lip of the tank and let it blow across the water surface to cool the tank water (works faster than you'd think).
    8. Crushed Vitamin C to help a sick fish heal faster (watch pH with this one).
    9. I use a large binder clip to keep the syphon from coming out of the tanks while removing or adding water. (adding a pic for this one)

binderclip.jpg

What do you guys use that isn't necessarily made for aquarium use?
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Tooth brush for cleaning filters and intakes.

Brute 55 gal trash can for wc, pre mixing while i drain and clean tank.

Garden hose to fill.

I also keep like four to six cheap bath towels for water clean up and on hand for sm spills.
    5 gal baby hecqui grow out
    7 gal baby compressicps
    14 bio cube fry tank, multies-orange leleupi-telmatochromis
    4 tank rack- 30 cubes. Shellies, mulities-brevis-telmatochromis-caudopunctaus
    100 gal mixed community tank
    125 Tropheus black bembas

Tanngankia cichlids what else

Comment

I'm sure there's more, but this is what I could think of. Thanks for making this thread! You should sticky it!

1. Polyfil for filter padding in my drip tray
      2. PVC for intake of my canister filter and sponge filter
      3. Spring Clamps to hold water hose when changing water
      4. Piggy Bank as glass lid weights (Doesn't work well if it's empty LOL)
      5. Eggcrate for lids
      6. Clip on lamp for planted nano tank (don't know if this counts, but it's not an aquarium light?)
      7. Anything plastic for bio media
      8. Tile/slate (soon to be used as sponge filter weight)
      9. Zip ties to tie together driftwood to keep a certain look and also as replacement hose clamps for tubes running from filters
      10. Mesh bag for a strainer on the siphon of the drain pipe when doing water change
      11. Plastic cup placed under filling tube during water change to keep substrate from flying all over the place also could use to thaw out frozen foods
      12. Toothbrush to clean up tubes on HOB filters or hard to reach spots
      13. Dish washing sponge that hasn't touched soap for cleaning anything with a larger surface area
      14. Tupperware for fish food storage or breeder boxes
      15. Plastic bottles for a makeshift gravel vac for planted tanks or makeshift sponge filter
      16. Vase/bowl for betta bowls or nano tanks
      17. Morton Canning & Pickling salt as substitute for Aquarium salt
      18. Peas or Epsom salt for problems with bladder
      19. Plastic Pot scrubbies as substitute for bio balls
      20. Black Sand-blasting media as substrate
      21. Eye screws, wire rope, wire clamps, and expanding sheetrock screws for diy hanging light kit
      22. Storage drawers and rubbermaid tub for diy wet/dry
      23. Fabric dye to dye sponge black
      24. Grouting sponge for sponge filter
      25. Laptop/phone/appliance charger for aquarium lighting power supply
      26. Fabric cloth, construction paper, poster board, acrylic paint, or spray paint for background on tanks
      27. Kiko used felt from Hobby Lobby to make micron socks
      28. Two way faucet adapter as alternative to python water changers
      Last edited by mistahoo; 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
        I'm sure there's more, but this is what I could think of on the top of my head. Thanks for making this thread! You should sticky it!
        Nice list! Anytime I go to someone's house, there is something that I see that makes me think "Hey! Why didn't I think of that?!" so I figured I'd start the list.
        Our Fishhouse
        Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I like using the cleaning brush that comes with a Turkey baster when cleaning my hob intake tube and tin foil is great for a temporary aquarium background. Tin foil also has the added benifit of reflecting light, so if your tank is low on light and needs a little extra this will help. Works well until you can afford the actual light you need. :)

Comment

29. In house carbon cartridge (Example can be found here on my thread)
            30. Rubbermaid tote as a quarantining/hospital/backup tank
            31. To-go plastic containers or food grade storage boxes to store dry goods (fish food, salt, etc)
            32. Plastic box + tube for makeshift UGF
            33. Straw to blow bubbles into the tank

Comment

two tips from noob

* 5 ml medicine dropper to pull exactly enough water for liquid API tests:

* tall plant stands (for tanks on 30" tank stands) as base of operations for chores like parameter testing and syphoning into the tank:
              One good tank deserves another

Comment

I sometimes use a small piece of window screen to wrap around my filter intakes, so small fish and shrimp won't get sucked up the filter into their deaths. This won't count, but I will also use a piece of an old fish net to wrap around my filter intakes. I have also used window screen to keep fish from jumping out of an aquarium. I even used window screen to keep shrimps happy! I use aluminum foil to cover up any openings on my aquarium cover. I use a wet/dry vacuum (I make sure the fish can't get near the vacuum intake) to do water changes for my larger tanks. For aquarium lighting, I have used desk lamps.
                Last edited by Brandon O'Brian; 12-15-2014, 12:18 AM.
                ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something
                fishy going on here, and I kinda like it!

Comment

Credit cards are pretty good at removing algae without scratching acrylic tanks.
                  When I get that mysterious algae that's stuck like concrete, I cut some plastic netting used for onion bags into strips and wrap it around my fingers. It cuts that crap like butter.
                  A few layers of onion-bag netting in your magnetic scraper will give it a boost as well. In fact, I ripped the felt off entirely, replaced it with the mesh, and tied it on with fishing line.

Comment

Interesting information! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X