Re: Keeping Freshwater Dwarf Shrimp

nice read up thsnkyou

cheers
      Tys
      Check out my aquarium journals
      - 100 gallon Livebearers community tank
      -10gallon fry tank

Comment

I'm a beginner at all things aquarium/fish but if I've managed to breed ghost shrimp (rather, they just did it), I should be proud of myself?

Comment

I would be proud! They are tricky and from what I have read/understand have a planktonic stage that needs certain requirements. If you have your parameters and anything of note, please share for anyone interested in breeding them!
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

How exciting! I thought they just bred like rabbits. I've had to get rid of some before b/c they started to over populate. As soon as I figure out what my parameters are, I'll certainly share.

Comment

From what I have read they need a very green water for the planktonis offspring to feed on, otherwise they'll starve in most 'clear' aquariums. Most filtratration other then sponge filters can actually suck them out of the water column and injure them.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

I've had Ghost Shrimp berry and have babies as well. I had neglected my 8-gallon biorb for a while, so the water was rather dirty (and 'green' as mnemenoi mentioned). I had a small piece of driftwood, java moss, a java fern and a crypt. Sponge filter as well.

Comment

I don't have a sponge filter, or live plants. I try to keep my tank clean, I rarely have green water (although I am struggling with the algae currently). Maybe I'm worse than I thought at tank-keeping but it works out okay for GS breeding. :-/ I have noticed that my egg bearing females prefer the shadows or lights off though. I wonder if I kept the tank "dark" (only natural light through the window) if they would breed more babies. Where do I look into getting a sponge filter? are they expensive?

Comment

Sponge filters are cheap, nothing more then a sponge and air pump pushing water through it. They are terrific in shrimp tanks due to the shrimp eating the biofilm that accumulates upon the sponge. Plants also develop a layer of biofilm and can uptake the excess nutrients in the water column and actually outcompete the algae. Possibly eliminating your issues, though I'm not certain the root cause of the outbreak, so I'm hesitant to say with any certainty. Water parameters would help to determine your issue. We just need the hard numbers for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate (my guess is a bit high), Ph, Temperature, and any other numbers you could provide. Gh, Kh, and TDS are always fun to have, but not necessary for us to troubleshoot it.
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

You can get sponge filters at almost any LFS. they are cheep and work great.
                      Keeping the tank dark will help slow down the algea.
                      I have a bunch of guppie grass. If you would like to add live plant. Your shrimp would love it.
                      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

will look into sponge filter and where do I find guppie grass? is it expensive? Will test water here in a little while and post what I find.

Comment

I give away guppie grass. Its a low tec plant that floats mostly but it will root to the ground. Shrimp love it but guppys and endlers love it too.
                          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                            Water parameters would help to determine your issue. We just need the hard numbers for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate (my guess is a bit high), Ph, Temperature, and any other numbers you could provide. Gh, Kh, and TDS are always fun to have, but not necessary for us to troubleshoot it.
                            I have:
                            pH 8.2
                            72*F
                            0.25 ppm ammonia
                            0 ppm Nitrite
                            5 ppm Nitrate

These numbers don't surprise me, my fiance was in charge of the tanks until yesterday while I recovered from a hip surgery. Amazing, I still managed to find a new little baby shrimp last night while doing a water change.

Comment

Your ammonia reading is a bit odd, how long has the tank been set up? Any large water changes recently? The low Nitrates could contribute to the Ghost Shrimp success and algae outbreak, especially if the tank recieves direct sunlight for very long. I would assume the tank was well cycled, so the ammonia was from your water source. With Prime or another ammonia blocker it is likely safe and locked up as ammonium, especially at a higher Ph. It can get deadly far more quickly at higher Ph levels.
                              Desiderius Erasmus
                              GHAC President

Comment

The tank has been set up since December. I did a 50% water change last night per your suggestion from my green algae versus ghost shrimp post. I use prime with every bucket of water. I have pH decrease, should I add it?

Comment

Working...
                                X