New puffer tank and a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New puffer tank and a question

Thanks to Petco and their cheap tank sale, my lil buddy is getting a new 29g home. I had purchased a Fluval Edge before deciding on going with a Figure 8 puffer and he has been housed in that for the last month, but I know that was too small for him and he was getting bored. This is gonna be a lot of tank for a 1.25" puffer to play in. Got everything setup last night and it's running with an Aquaclear 50 and some live sand. I used Live marine sand and some of the media from the Edge. Should I start a dose of Stability when I move him or should this be enough? The SG is 1.008-1.009 in the new tank. (.001 above the old one)

He won't be moved today or tomorrow, I am going to allow as much time as possible for things to stabilize

Originally posted by Graico View Post
    Thanks to Petco and their cheap tank sale, my lil buddy is getting a new 29g home. I had purchased a Fluval Edge before deciding on going with a Figure 8 puffer and he has been housed in that for the last month, but I know that was too small for him and he was getting bored. This is gonna be a lot of tank for a 1.25" puffer to play in. Got everything setup last night and it's running with an Aquaclear 50 and some live sand. I used Live marine sand and some of the media from the Edge. Should I start a dose of Stability when I move him or should this be enough? The SG is 1.008-1.009 in the new tank. (.001 above the old one)

He won't be moved today or tomorrow, I am going to allow as much time as possible for things to stabilize
    You got established bacteria that you're putting in the new tank. I don't see why you can't just add him? I've never dealt with stability so I wouldn't know anything about it, but I always just started tanks with just dechlorinated water.

Comment

We have Figure8 puffers. ( Limon & Lime ) We used to keep them in brackish water. Not any more. They do well in freshwater. We house ours in a 40g hex. With an ABN pleco and mico geophagus.

Brackish water is more like fresh water then it is marine. You don't need live sand or live rock. just the bacteria in the filters.
      The tank should stablize in a day or two. with out adding a thing. Most new tanks get cloudy after you set them up and thin clear up as it stablizes.
      As for a SM reading of 1.008 to 1.009 . they can handle that. A .001 to them is nothing. As soon as the tank water is clear, place him in the tank...
      good luck and pictures are always welcome...
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I figured the live sand and brackish setup would be a little closer to the estuary system where he came from originally. He definitely enjoys the current created by the bigger filter, he been playing in it for awhile now. I moved him in early this morning and he seems to be adjusting fantastic, no signs of stress and he's eating great and nipping at the new plants. I know, I know, pictures or it didn't happen so here is Squee's introduction to to the FishBox:
        Attached Files

Comment

Squee looks great! any updates?
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Cool , looks good. Congratulations on Squees upgrade. Now hes just needs a mate. Lol
            5 gal baby hecqui grow out
            7 gal baby compressicps
            14 bio cube fry tank, multies-orange leleupi-telmatochromis
            4 tank rack- 30 cubes. Shellies, mulities-brevis-telmatochromis-caudopunctaus
            100 gal mixed community tank
            125 Tropheus black bembas

Tanngankia cichlids what else

Comment

Unfortunately Squee didn't make it long after the move, he was great for about 5 days then he started going downhill very fast. I had chocked it up to IP and began treating, but came home one night to find that he had passed, Once I pulled him out and had a closer look at him, I noticed he had a larger pointed spot on his belly and the skin seemed very tight over this area. I believe he ate something that caused a blockage or rupture, a twig or shell is all I can think of... The tank has been repurposed for some Mainganos now and it will be a long while before I do another puffer.

Comment

Aww, poor sqee. Flushed in piece! Hey i got some cool baby hecqui shellies if ur interested??
                5 gal baby hecqui grow out
                7 gal baby compressicps
                14 bio cube fry tank, multies-orange leleupi-telmatochromis
                4 tank rack- 30 cubes. Shellies, mulities-brevis-telmatochromis-caudopunctaus
                100 gal mixed community tank
                125 Tropheus black bembas

Tanngankia cichlids what else

Comment

Working...
                X