30g puffer tank, ideas needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30g puffer tank, ideas needed

Well everyone, got my 30 gal oceanic back from my dads house and am wanting to start a puffer tank. I would like to have a couple so the tank doesnt look too bare. Looking for any type, but NOT interested in pure marine puffers. If you have any ideas please feel free to share! I have experience with brackish tank so that is not a problem (running one right now in fact). If anyone knows of a dwarf type that will do okay with other types of fish (this probably not being possible) please share that as well. Just looking for ideas everyone so open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
    65G African Tank (1 Ropefish, 1 Senegal Bichir, 3 Spotted Climbing Pearch, 2 Black Calvus "Zebra", 1 Featherfin Cat, African Knife, 2 Upside down Cats and an African Butterfly Fish.

30G "The Mudhole" 3 African Mudskippers (Periophthalmus barbarus)

20G 4 Longfin Zebra Danio, 2 Julii Cory, 2 Bolivian Ram, 1 Stripped Raphael and 3 Glass Cats.

South American puffers do well in community tanks, but that small is a bit tough. Try either Red eye Red tails or dwarfs for a pair or smaller group/harem. Otherwise a solitary Dragon Puffer would be fun. An avacado could work perhaps...
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
      South American puffers do well in community tanks, but that small is a bit tough. Try either Red eye Red tails or dwarfs for a pair or smaller group/harem. Otherwise a solitary Dragon Puffer would be fun. An avacado could work perhaps...
      Those red eye red tail puffers are pretty neat! Dont think I have ever seen those available though, have you? Thanks for the idea!
      65G African Tank (1 Ropefish, 1 Senegal Bichir, 3 Spotted Climbing Pearch, 2 Black Calvus "Zebra", 1 Featherfin Cat, African Knife, 2 Upside down Cats and an African Butterfly Fish.

20G 4 Longfin Zebra Danio, 2 Julii Cory, 2 Bolivian Ram, 1 Stripped Raphael and 3 Glass Cats.

Comment

I saw a matched pair at Fish Gallery awhile back, but they are not very common... Might have to ask Fish Gallery, but they could likely get you some
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Hmmmm, so might be kinda pricey huh? lol What about the little Amazon puffers. I would kinda like to do a small SA biotope with a pair of these in it. Also read that they can be put in a tank with other active fish.

Comment

They were decently priced if I remember correctly (40 for the pair?), but SAP are terrific as well and I had a small school of 4-6 in a 55. The real problem there is trimming beaks, with SAP's it will be required, I have never seen one not need it and eventually they'll starve if its not done. Just something to consider...
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by brandon_rss18 View Post
              Those red eye red tail puffers are pretty neat! Dont think I have ever seen those available though, have you? Thanks for the idea!
              I seen them at Xtreme and Unlimited a while back I think. Tried asking them?

Comment

I have seen Red Eye Red Tail puffers used in community tanks with Mini Moth cats, various danios, and rasbora. The SAP I had were housed with a variety of south american tetra, loricards, and knifefish and the only thing I ever found them eating were a school of marbled hatchetfish.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

dwarf puffers you could do 6 with lots of plants and pretty much any community fish. I know for a fact they won't bother neon tetras otos.
                  Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Your featherfin was in with our fig8 puffers. Now the have blue rams and an ABN pleco. they have had angel fish in with them. With no trouble. Plans to put them in the 75g with My geo.s as soon as the Geo.s are big enough to fin for them selfs.
                    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Ok cool. So it sounds like I could do a community tank with the amazon puffers then? Just want to clarify. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X