No announcement yet.

First Brackish Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats what i want do you know what that stuff is?

Comment

Marine eelgrass or Vallisneria?
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

I might choose some Figure 8 puffers if I were set on a brackish tank. Green spotted get 6" and require full marine when they get 4"+, are very aggressive and your tank could possibly house 2. They are known to kill nearly anything in their tank and are generally great solitary specimen fish. Figure 8's (Tetraodon biocellatus) stay smaller 3", are more social and allow far more tankmate choices. They are also a true brackish puffer, only requiring moderate to high end brackish at adulthood. Your tank could comfortably house 3-4 adults and still have room for other tankmates without going crazy on the bioload.

Depending on your species selection I imagine only something like similarly sized monos would work with GSP's and then it would only be short term. F8's offer monos, archerfish, scats (will eventually outgrow your tank), gobies (not bumblebees) Leaf Goblinfish (actually a waspfish), and glassfish (very cool looking naturally, try humphead glassfish or get the colored ones and they will eventually lose it. we used to see the normal variety, but alas they are far rarer now). Avoid columbian shark catfish as they get HUGE and are another full marine. Datnoids are another option if you are interested and grow slowly.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

All great suggestions, thank you. If i go with figure 8's i would want hardy gobies (I have a tendency to kill fish, especially delicate ones). Gobies sand sift right? How many could i have with 3 figure 8's? Isa 10 gallon refugium big enough? And final question what do you suggest for filtration? Thanks again

Comment

Gobies sand sift right? Gobies are one of the largest fish families in the world, it depends entirely upon which species you choose. Dragon gobies do sift sand, while knight gobies, sleepers, and bumblebees do not. I would recommend some knight gobies as they are far more active.

How many could i have with 3 figure 8's? I'd probably do another trio. They have been known to breed, so its a possibility I'd consider.

Isa 10 gallon refugium big enough? Most likely, though refugiums are mainly used to hide/grow live food and for plants to uptake Nitrates from the tank. I have seen folks use Chaeto algae in SW tanks, but it will not survive in brackish. Perhaps look into mangroves? Not certain exactly how effective they would be at Nitrate uptake though. You could always try some native plants, but you are certainly in uncharted waters in this regard. I imagine you'll be one of 10 home aquarists trying to run a refugium on a brackish tank.

And final question what do you suggest for filtration? The more the better. For Hang on Backs, I'd suggest Aquaclears. Probably a 70 or 110, you can find them used for cheap on here. (i have a used 110 in the garage, hit me up if you need it) If you choose a canister, I would go with an Eheim 2215 or a 2217.

Your welcome, you are doing something a bit different and it can be tough finding good experiance and info online. I'm glad to help and assist in avoiding the errors I made when I started my first brackish tank all those many years ago...
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

what do you know about Purple spotted gudgeons? Please tell me they are knight gobies they look so cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire eel 18 View Post
                what do you know about Purple spotted gudgeons? Please tell me they are knight gobies they look so cool.
                These are the coolest fish ever. I have been trying to get some so I can breed but I cant find anyone who can get them for me in the US.

Comment

Purple spotted gudgeons? I have no personal experiance with Purple spotted Gudgeons, though I have kept other close relatives. They would be a great companion to your F8's and sound like they are a great fit for your tank. They vary from alkaline fresh to lower to mid range brackish, so avoiding marine or high end brackish would be advised.

Please tell me they are knight gobies they look so cool. Sadly they are not, though they are somewhat closely related. they are actually family Eleotridae (Sleeper gobies) and are a bit larger then other 'gobies' per se'. The biggest difference between the two families is their pelvic fins. In gobies they are joined to form a disc or cup they use to adhere to things (think bumblebee gobies) while Sleepers have normal paired pelvic fins and they do not use them in the same regard. Beyond that they are very similar, but evolutionarilly speaking they diverge and are a more 'primitive' family thus the differntiation in familial names.

I have kept quite a selection of sleepers, from marbled sleepers to gudgeons to our native brackish Jade Sleepers and they are very tough little critters. They are ambush predators generally, though gudgeons are a bit more active. Knight gobies are even more active, but choose what you like as I was only trying to give a wide selection of ideas for you to consider and it looks like you found something that peaked your interest. I do see a few different types available at Fish Gallery occasionally and via Aquabid. They can be bred and I would be glad to see somone on here keep some.
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

There is a proven breeding pair on Aquabid currently for $50 with shipping....
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

Wherecould i get a wet dry filter for cheap? I have a budget of about $100 but would like to spend $80. I have to have something for the overflow are there other low cost options for me? Can i make a temporary water proof seal on it until i get something like a wet dry anything is appreciated because i dont know what to do about the overflow.

Comment

+1 on figure 8s. I have 2 of them I got from extreme. They are voracious feeders and very interesting fish. They had green spotted and figure 8s last time I was up there for bulbs. The greens are mean as hell though.

Comment

Wherecould i get a wet dry filter for cheap? I have a budget of about $100 but would like to spend $80. I have to have something for the overflow are there other low cost options for me? Can i make a temporary water proof seal on it until i get something like a wet dry anything is appreciated because i dont know what to do about the overflow.
                          Unfortunetly Wet/Dry's are not cheap. just the return pump will blow your budget. I take it that you tank is drilled for the overflow? if so you can seal it or hook up a canister filter to the overflow. that you could do for less then $100.00.
                          keep us updated.
                          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I do have a return pump luckily the previous owner gave me one what are some brands to look for

Comment

I run a queitone. Eheim mag and there are others. It not so much the brand. It's have to have the same return as you do coming out. but you could make the sump out of a old 20 or 29g tank or a rubbermade tub. look it the do it your self forums. There are a few nice builds and plans. or check the fishmarket you may find aome one willing to let theirs go cheep. if you have the pump the rest is just the media.
                              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Working...
                              X