Breeding pair of convict cichlids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Sale: Breeding pair of convict cichlids

I have a pair of convict cichlids that I don't really have a need for and they are starting to get boring. Open to trades or $10 for both. Male is 3+ inches and female is 2-2.5 inches. She has held full term twice and spit swimmers. The first time it was 20+ fry and the second, well you can see from the pic. Sorry but if you want them you gotta come get them, I've been crazy busy at work.
    Attached Files
    20g mixed reef

Originally posted by nightster View Post
    I have a pair of convict cichlids that I don't really have a need for and they are starting to get boring. Open to trades or $10 for both. Male is 3+ inches and female is 2-2.5 inches. She has held full term twice and spit swimmers. The first time it was 20+ fry and the second, well you can see from the pic. Sorry but if you want them you gotta come get them, I've been crazy busy at work.
    Really?

Dude, if this is true keep them, you've came up on some super rare convicts that have broken the mold and altered their breeding habits.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Re: Breeding pair of convict cichlids

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
      Really?

Dude, if this is true keep them, you've came up on some super rare convicts that have broken the mold and altered their breeding habits.
      Well I'm probably wrong then I thought all cichlids were mouth brooders, my mistake.
      20g mixed reef

Comment

oh... I thought you actually saw them holding which would be really cool.

Convicts are egglayers.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

convicts lay eggs. not all have hit that evolutionary point yet. Most SA cichlids still lay eggs. Africans mouth brood because of competion on spawning ground and preditors.
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
            oh... I thought you actually saw them holding which would be really cool.

Convicts are egglayers.
            Now come to think of it I was wondering how she was eating all along then one day there was fry everywhere. Just thought maybe she was a boss lol.
            20g mixed reef

Comment

Originally posted by nightster View Post
              Now come to think of it I was wondering how she was eating all along then one day there was fry everywhere. Just thought maybe she was a boss lol.
              LOL! When shes watching those eggs she is a boss.
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I kinda feel stupid now lol.
                20g mixed reef

Comment

dont be. We've all thought somthing and epically failed. You just did it in a forum for us to see.....
                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by barrettsline View Post
                    epic fail
                    Sums up this thread lol
                    20g mixed reef

Comment

not unless your thought killed your sale.... be positive
                      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

You almost had me parting with $10...
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Some SA/CA cichlids do put the fish in their mouth when they feel a threat is present. That's probably what you witnessed. When I had neetroplus, after the eggs hatched, anytime I stuck my hand in the tank the mom sucked tthem up and then spit them out when I was out of the way.
                          210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
                          125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Very true. When I had my FH and blood parrot breed the momma would suck them in and move them around

Comment

Originally posted by barrettsline View Post
                              convicts lay eggs. not all have hit that evolutionary point yet. Most SA cichlids still lay eggs. Africans mouth brood because of competion on spawning ground and preditors.

finding a egg layer that actually evolved into mouth brooding or exhibited a buccal incubation stage would be amazing!
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X