A guide to enders/guppies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A guide to enders/guppies?

Just like the title says... Is there a good online resource for grading and variants of endlers? I got a few black bar endlers, and the first generation is starting to color out at this point. I'm looking to see what colors are more desirable, how long I should wait to kull out and such. Any ideas?
    75 planted (Being Renovated)
    Endlers
    gobies
    lots of nanos

I have been wanting to do endlers. But I want to do a pure strain. What are pure strains of endlers?
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

There is a large argument concerning exactly what an Endler is. Soma argue it is actually the wild stock that guppies were line bred from and a distinct species unto themselves. Others argue they are a hybrid and the same species as our hybrid guppy. You can see them listed as both according to where the person stands on that argument. They can breed with guppies, but as to being a distinct species its still undecided. They have been line bred to produce variants and color morphs just as guppies.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

From my understanding, most are either the black-bar or tiger/bumblebee varieties. I've seen some snakeskin varieties, but they seem to be crossed with a snakeskin guppy (pretty common). There are also chili endlers, which are a black-bar bred to only have a spot or no black, and almost all red.
        Endlers
        gobies
        lots of nanos

Comment

if you've done a search of the web and not found a site for endlers that meets what your looking for then maybe you should try creating one. I like guppies but am not into endlers. I do remember reading some info about them, about the beginning of the tiger endler. I don't think I've seen anything that grades them. I don't think they are showing in a dedicated organization like guppies and Bettas so I doubt anyone has developed a show standard for them.

Of course I could be completely wrong about that. :)

So for breeding them, you get to decide for yourself what is desirable. I would exclude any deformities(bent spine, missing fins) and since endlers seem to be a smaller than guppy fish i would exclude large fish. Since you don’t know much about the fish's growth, the first generation would give you your base guidelines. I would take pictures of them weekly until they look like the parents. Then you can figure out the best time to cull for color and such. With guppies, some can grow slowly and culling to find the best show/breeding fish may not really happen til they are 5 or 7 months old. I'm raising yellow cobras and they are frustrating me because their tails take a long time to develop. Some develop shark tails which I don't want. So far they are over 2 months old and breeding and I still can't tell which ones I want to keep and breed.
          Guppies:
          Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
          Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
          HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
            I have been wanting to do endlers. But I want to do a pure strain. What are pure strains of endlers?
            If you want a pure strain, you are looking for Class N endlers. Class N can be reliably traced back to their native habitat.

Incidentally, Class K are endlers that have been crossed with guppies. Class P are endlers of unknown origin; they may be pure or not.

You can check Aquabid for Class N endlers.

AdrianHD (SwampRiverAquatics.com) is a well-known breeder of both pure strains and crosses who often offers both for sale.

I have been on the look out for Class N Lime Green endlers...although, I might be tempted to go with the orchid strain instead if I don't find limes that interest me.

Cheers!
            Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Yet, those who do study history are doomed to stand by helplessly while everyone else repeats it.

Comment

From all my breeding one of the babies colored up to its original form. Meaning a class n endler. Orange and black dots only. Its my favorite endler right now.
              75g Tank,
              2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
              2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
              10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
              10g Tank
              Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by R_sustaita View Post
                From all my breeding one of the babies colored up to its original form. Meaning a class n endler. Orange and black dots only. Its my favorite endler right now.
                If I'm not mistaken, this means you do not have pure line.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Imdont know. It was the only one out of my previous batch which were 25 babies and only 1 came out to be the original. After all its genetics.
                  75g Tank,
                  2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
                  10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
                  10g Tank
                  Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Originally posted by R_sustaita View Post
                    Imdont know. It was the only one out of my previous batch which were 25 babies and only 1 came out to be the original. After all its genetics.
                    For endlers, the class is determined by where the fish's line originated and whether it has been mixed with guppies. It does not matter what the color of the fish is.

If your endlers were crossed with guppies, then you may still occasionally get an offspring that looks like the original endler. This does not make it a class N, though. You can't have only one Class N out of a batch of babies.

For example, I know this guy that has Lime Green Endlers. He only breeds them with each other. He got them from a breeder who obtained his original stock from the river they inhabit in the wild and only bred them with each other. Either may have selectively bred to bring out a specific trait, but they never mixed the endlers with guppies. This makes these endlers Class N, regardless of how they look.

If you don't know where your fish originated or if they were mixed with others or if you are not sure, that makes them class P, endlers of unklnown origin...even if they look identical to a pure strain.

Class K are those that are definitely of mixed origin, like tiger endlers.
                    Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Yet, those who do study history are doomed to stand by helplessly while everyone else repeats it.

Comment

Class N endlers would be cool. I don't want to breed for sale. But it still would be cool to have Documentation. No one could say (that's not a pure strain ). You have prof that they are. As I look I have found lots of good info on endlers. Now I find it funny. All the people who have told me,( that's not a pure strain ). They had no idea what they really have. Had some one here tell me they had pure line and then tell me black bar was not pure. They didn't know. Black bar, peacock, red chest, double red stripe, snake chest, flame tail, and center peacock... N class...
                      Last edited by troy tucker; 07-05-2012, 08:08 AM.

Comment

well mine would be Endlers K class as they are tiger Strain and breed with in each other. but still the original looking one rocks. mainly that neon orange color.
                        75g Tank,
                        10g Tank
                        Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

R you should post a picture. I know I would like to see what type it is. Maybe a picture of both and what they are?

Comment

when i get home ill do that.
                            75g Tank,
                            10g Tank
                            Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Here is one of my adults. The first generation is getting it's color now, so we'll see what they look like.

Endlers
                              gobies
                              lots of nanos

Comment

Working...
                              X