No announcement yet.

Trying to set a 10G nano reef.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which ATO is recommended for a nano setup ?

Comment

JBJ ATO would be fine

Comment

so far everything looks good, I added ammonia instead of shrimp to raise betweetn 3ppm to 4ppm and well today it is already a .5 ppm ofcourse my nitirites are around 2ppm to 5ppm but that was fast , i guess live rock and live sand really help to speed up the process.

I already moded the AC50 intake to work as a surface skimmer (saw something similar for a ac110 ) at least I will assume I will only need to take care of the sponge frequently and also see less foam in the surface, the only problem it looks ugly :)

here some pics:

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/raullozano3/c4d33fcf.jpg
        Last edited by Raul; 06-27-2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Paint it black so it'll kinda blend in with the background if your worried about looks

Comment

Originally posted by raleigh19 View Post
            JBJ ATO would be fine
            Really?

You like those?

I broke mine in a drunken rage one night b/c it keep on beeping. Shzt pissed me off.

I've used 3 different kinds....I recommend skipping the cheap stuff and going straight for the elos or the tunze. ATOs gave me a lot of problems on my last tank.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I have three jbj . They work fine. Going on a year.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post

I broke mine in a drunken rage one night b/c it keep on beeping. Shzt pissed me off.
                LOL, I thought I had the market on that behavior
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by johnnymisty View Post
                  Paint it black so it'll kinda blend in with the background if your worried about looks
                  what type of paint or any pvc paint ?

Comment

I've heard of people using krylon fusion just let it dry real good for 24 hrs

Comment

so far so good zero ammonia, nitrites still 1~5 ppm, one thing I notice one of the live rock there is some sort of plant or it might be part of the death corals, but i notice it hides more when I add like small amounts of salt to adjust the salinity, but since I do not have any experience on marine not sure what it is, and not sure if I should remove it or not.

here is the pic:

and if it is coral should i try and start feeding food to it, even that i am cycling.

Also I am starting to see or maybe they were already there purple spots in the live rock.

Ha this SW is totally a different animal from freshwater .... :) I am a total n00b.
                      Last edited by Raul; 06-28-2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

So it is been a week, and it seems the tank is close to cycle, i been feeding ammoia very small quantities, and well every morning AMMONIA is 0. nitrites are almost 0 so I will give is a day or two, now ofcourse my nitrates are around 40 to 80 ppm since I been dosing ammonia.

how to I lower the nitrates, I know live rock it is supposed to help, but should I do a partial water change like 50% and stop dosing ammonia ?

And for that when I take saltwater i have to put the same quantity and salinity correct?. BTW i got the refractometer that thing is much simple and fast to use.

Comment

well so far the thank is doing good, running with some diatoms as expected, but added some few corals and waiting on the CUC, but so far it i like it.

parameter are stable,

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Here is an update pic, but I already added some fish, the corals and the shrimp and crabs and I am a happy camper, parameters all look good. I went for percula clowns people say nay I say yay!! Diatoms are dying well they are being eaten by the CUC. Poor zoas I scared them when I added this guys.

And I need to say the ATO is a must with a nano, it has really help me with the salinity to keep it on the spot.

Last edited by Raul; 07-20-2012, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Here Is my DIY 10g rimless
                                EPIC FISH BOMB---- ><'> ---- RIGHT???å

Comment

Working...
                                X