To Start a Salt tank....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Start a Salt tank....

so after seen how many of you are starting their salt tanks i think i have been drag to your side.

i have a spare 29g tank and since you guys say the more volume the better so hit me with what will i need for a real basic salt water tank.

my goal is a FOWLR, what i have.

Stand
    29g tank
    T5 Single Bulb light

i know i need at least 29lbs of live rock and at least a 30g rated filter and a heater. i will get a 10g tank to be a sump as a 20 wont fit.

so hit me up with what you think i can need to get it going.
    75g Tank,
    2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
    2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
    10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
    10g Tank
    Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Money
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Do you want to convert to reef someday?
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
        Do you want to convert to reef someday?
        yeah, maybe in 3-6 months to see if i really like the salt tank. it would be cool to have some corals. but i want to start really basic and move on.
        75g Tank,
        2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
        10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
        10g Tank
        Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Gotcha. If you want to convert to reef someday than you want to use RODI water to mix salt.

On the most basic level all you need is LR, water, and a power head. The LR is the filter media that houses beneficial bacteria. You want to let it cycle first before adding any fish. That's about it. Everything else is truely extra.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

by LR you mean like a HOB filter or something like that? does the t5 flourecent lights works or i need a MH by force?
            75g Tank,
            10g Tank
            Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

LR = live rock.

You can use the t5 for now. Just like FW, fish don't really need light. T5s are ok for corals depending on the coral and coral placement. You are not forced to use MH for corals.

How many bulbs does the fixture have?
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

oh Live rock duh. yes i will add LR. the t5 has i think i bulb. i do have a 4 bulb t5 mh light system. but thats what i use on my fw tank.
                75g Tank,
                10g Tank
                Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Yeah, a single t5 bulb is not going to cut it.

For a 29g, you will want a 4 bulb fixture if you want to go with a t5 set up.
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                    Yeah, a single t5 bulb is not going to cut it.

For a 29g, you will want a 4 bulb fixture if you want to go with a t5 set up.
                    that will be when i go into reef style right. just for fish i am good with that light.
                    75g Tank,
                    10g Tank
                    Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Exactly.

You should take a look at some of the sticky links.

You maybe surprise how easy a reef system is to maintain. On smaller systems like yours just a small 10-15% water change is all you need.
                      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Get ya an aquaclear 70 or 110 and throw on you can even get a media basket for the to tue them into a fuge or get a piece of egg crate and put in there to keep the cheato from coming out throw a light over it an you got a cheap fuge

Comment

yeah, i am reading those as we speak. if everything goes as plan i will start the set up at my office Tomorrow.
                          75g Tank,
                          10g Tank
                          Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Originally posted by johnnymisty View Post
                            Get ya an aquaclear 70 or 110 and throw on you can even get a media basket for the to tue them into a fuge or get a piece of egg crate and put in there to keep the cheato from coming out throw a light over it an you got a cheap fuge
                            you seem to be speacking on some sort of code or something. i always get confuse with your descriptions lol.
                            75g Tank,
                            10g Tank
                            Hospital 2-F. Endlers

Comment

Lol, if you got a sump than don't worry about the HOB fuge.
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X