Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Snails

Hi,
    I recently got some ivory briggs and was wondering if other people keep those in Houston and if they have any suggestions. I've kept them before but the shells tend to deteriorate. I'm thinking of putting calcium pills in the water. I was wondering if Calcium with vitamin D was ok or should I stick with plain calcium. I'd really like them to stay looking this nice.

4snlmIvory.JPG
    Guppies:
    Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
    Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
    HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

I have used calcium carbonate tablets for this, tums antacids to be precise. i am now using a product called 'wonder shells' which provide all the trace minerals. you can also buy free form Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) powder from hydroponics stores or Green Leaf Aquariums / Bob's Tropicals online, its pretty inexpensive.
    Last edited by Totenkampf; 05-12-2012, 08:34 AM.
    75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
    28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
    12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
    29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
    45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
    33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Most snails do well in the water here. Mistery snails like the high PH. I would think this snail will do well too.
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by Fancyfish View Post
        Hi,
        I recently got some ivory briggs and was wondering if other people keep those in Houston and if they have any suggestions. I've kept them before but the shells tend to deteriorate. I'm thinking of putting calcium pills in the water. I was wondering if Calcium with vitamin D was ok or should I stick with plain calcium. I'd really like them to stay looking this nice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11718[/ATTACH]
        Do you put them in planted tanks or tanks with soft water? I've only had issues in tanks with Aquasoil.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
          Do you put them in planted tanks or tanks with soft water? I've only had issues in tanks with Aquasoil.
          I was thinking of putting them in my planted tank with cat litter clay under the gravel. Right now they are in an isolation tank til I decide where to put them. I've been reading on the snail board and they recommend feeding the snails caltrate(?).
          Guppies:
          Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)

Comment

Jake's veggie sticks with extra calcium! I've noticed the mystery and ramshorn snails I gut load to feed to my puffer have been a bit tougher for him to eat after feeding them this stuff in the past month.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I leave the empty snail shells in the tank to dissolve in the water don't know if it helps lol
              Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by sunkenmetal View Post
                I leave the empty snail shells in the tank to dissolve in the water don't know if it helps lol
                That's what I started doing too, I would scoop the crushed shells from the puffer tank and toss them into the feeder shrimp/snail tank.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                  That's what I started doing too, I would scoop the crushed shells from the puffer tank and toss them into the feeder shrimp/snail tank.
                  I figure if the shells dissolve in the water whatever minerals they are made of must be in the water column.
                  Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by sunkenmetal View Post
                    I figure if the shells dissolve in the water whatever minerals they are made of must be in the water column.
                    Yes, on the snail board they talk about crushing the shells and feeding them to the snails. But my ph problems wiped out my snail populations so I don't have any shells left. And unlike other places where I've lived in Houston my ph tends to be low to REAL low... And snails and acid don't seem to mix well. :P

The veggie stix are a good idea. Where do you get them from?
                    Guppies:

Comment

Low PH in Houston serious?
                      Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

yes. See this post. http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforum...-loss-problems We're working on the theory the ph got so low it either killed everything cause it was too low or when I did water changes, the spikes killed the fish. Wiped out snails, plants and fish. So now I'm testing frequently; maybe in a month or so I'll know more.
                        Guppies:

Comment

I ordered in a few lbs from a member of plantedtank.net.

May have a few oz left.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Here's the link to tpt member sale thread.... I have a 4oz bag left for $16 if you want it.

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks but I'm going to pass. I have a ton of fish foods including lots of algie waffers and only a few snails/plecs(so far) I'm going to try the caltrate and see what that does.
                              Guppies:

Comment

Working...
                              X