texas cichlid and bowfin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texas cichlid and bowfin?

Anyone know of some places to catch bowfin or texas cichlids around houston area? Tried out Brazos state park but they weren't biting. Don't know if it's not hot enough or if they were scared of the gators. Any tips to catching them would be nice too (Bait, location, season, etc.)
    Last edited by mistahoo; 05-03-2012, 09:23 PM.

You can catch plenty about a mile from my house in Indiana, and longnosed gar as well,

Comment

Lol time to make a trip over! When I went to the state park I saw a large alligator gar right by my bait. He wouldn't take it though.

Comment

ive caught some texas cichlids in the bayou i can catch some for ya if ya like
        Last edited by elvispacman; 09-25-2012, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
          Anyone know of some places to catch bowfin or texas cichlids around houston area? Tried out Brazos state park but they weren't biting. Don't know if it's not hot enough or if they were scared of the gators. Any tips to catching them would be nice too (Bait, location, season, etc.)

Not sure on the Bowfin, but I definetly know where to catch some Texas Cichlids. Cypress Creek between I45 and Hardy. Have to park and walk through the woods to get to the spot. I've got a 'minnow' trap (perch traps are illegal in Texas) that makes catching them a breeze. Dry dog food as bait/lure. If you want to catch them with R&R then either pieces of live worms under a bobber work or artificial 1" worms worked slowly above the bottom. No weight with either.

Shoot me your email and I'll send you a satelite view of where to go. Any time of year.
          A mouth will say anything....:ym_chatterbox:....Take a picture!!!!

Comment

just came back from fishing at night and i caught quite a few texas cichlids with the cast net.

Comment

Nice! I'm not so interested in Texas Cichlids any more. I still want a Bowfin for sh%^s and giggles lol

Comment

yea one of those would be cool, some other guy asked me for some so hell be getting like 10i wish i caught some bass, oh and i caught some tilapia that had some green in them which was pretty cool
                Last edited by elvispacman; 09-30-2012, 11:05 PM.

Comment

If you are looking for Bowfins, Day Lake up by Dayton and Liberty would be your best bet. People catch them often there. I caught one a few years back.
                  65G African Tank (1 Ropefish, 1 Senegal Bichir, 3 Spotted Climbing Pearch, 2 Black Calvus "Zebra", 1 Featherfin Cat, African Knife, 2 Upside down Cats and an African Butterfly Fish.

30G "The Mudhole" 3 African Mudskippers (Periophthalmus barbarus)

20G 4 Longfin Zebra Danio, 2 Julii Cory, 2 Bolivian Ram, 1 Stripped Raphael and 3 Glass Cats.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                    Nice! I'm not so interested in Texas Cichlids any more. I still want a Bowfin for sh%^s and giggles lol
                    It may take me a while but I'll find you some. Dont give up on me yet. I bought a new trap and am waiting for it to rain real good again.

200 - African cichlids
                    72 - Salty Bow Front
                    33 Cube - community
                    10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Brain I would bet on you finding bowfin...
                      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

if you find one i want one,a small one though at most a foot in length

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                          Brain I would bet on you finding bowfin...
                          +1!

Comment

Originally posted by elvispacman View Post
                            if you find one i want one,a small one though at most a foot in length
                            I'd like a small one too! Them big ones are too much to deal with.

Comment

i just plan on eating it when it gets big that or gotta get me a big tank

Comment

Working...
                              X