Help!!! Corydoras Breeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!! Corydoras Breeding

I set up a new tank last Thursday. Its bigger and more natural looking (dark sand substrate instead of gravel, driftwood, live plants, rocks, etc). Its 65 gallons and has one of those Eheim pro filters and a small inside canister filter (about 40 gallons per hour) for circulation.

anyway, I have had those fish for a couple of months, I transferred them in Thursday and my Corydoras began laying eggs today. I have never been successful with egg layers. What should I do??? The eggs are stuck to the glass halfway up the tank.

Its a pretty tall tank, about 20-22 inches, I thought Corys layed when you drop the water level?

looking for info on temp settings for the eggs? Will they even survive predation from the other fish (Angels and two inch Rainbows)

If they do make it, what do I feed the young??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also my angels look like they have been bonding. They are still rather small (a little bigger than a half dollar) but they swim everywhere in pairs never more than 2 inches away from each other.

Hey Tek

My albino corys laid eggs today. I only have RCS and Albino BN plecos, so I am going to let them hatch on their own. I only hope the parents don't decide to have them as a snack. I see not much help given here, so I am gonna research a little to see what else I can find out.
    Professional algae grower

Comment

thanks for the reply.

Yeah I decided to just let them be. The Corys have laid eggs on all 4 walls of the tank. The fish seem to be leaving them alone, I just hope they remain viable and hatch. Its kinda hard for me to do water changes though, some of the eggs are about an inch to an inch and a half from the water line.

Comment

i have never had the corys spawn so i cant help there, i can say that angels are pretty efficient predators when the lights go out. black molly fry dont make it long at all and my angels are only half dollar size in body. i wouldnt think that the parents would eat them since they dont typically take small fish but thats just a guess.
        75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
        28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
        12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
        29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
        45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
        33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

My Angels look like they would eat anything too. Right now I feed them a little food about 6 times a day (I feed them like goldfish, just a spot of food multiple times a day) but they are voracious.

I love Angels becasue of how tame they are. When I stick my hand in the tank they swim right to it and look at it as if wondering where would be the most appropriate place to take a bite.

anyway, I do home that if the Cory's hatch, that they do have places to hide. The substrate is kinda beige (sand) and the corys are emerald, so they would stick out like a sore thumb. Oh well, I have 7 of those anyway, and I am not in the business of selling fish so if they survive great, if they don't it won't be so bad. Would be nice if they did survive though

Comment

a clump of java moss or something down at the substrate level might help them get big enough to make it. my rainbows and angels have never been much for picking at the substrate...mostly mid and top water feeders

GHAC Member

Comment

I have never had luck with Java moss. I used to have tons of those that I got from a creek in San Antonio and it just seemed to hang around the tank. My only success with it is if it came already attached to a rock.

My Rainbows don't venture to the bttm of the tank unless they are following a clump of frozen food or shrimp pellets (they love shrimp pellets) My Angels hang out at the bttm of the tank when the lights go out.

I see you have Rams, I was thinking of buying some. Where did you get yours?

I really need a splash of color in that tank, I just have about yellow and black stripped Angels, 7 rainbows and the corys (7 emerald and 3 albino). Was thinking of adding more fish but slowly. Maybe 3 rams, or a dozen or so tetras. I love serpae tetras. Got huge ones in SA, for cheap. need to make a trip one day down there.

Comment

i have bought my rams from fish r us in conroe but had a high mortality rate (100% of 10) from the last ones. i really had to make myself not buy any last weekend from there because he had longfin gold rams and they were awesome looking. the bolivians i got there are doing well though, they are pretty tough. HAW had some really nice looking ones the last time i was there. i amsure fish gallery would have german blues but i havent been in a while.

GHAC Member

Comment

OK all the cory eggs disappeared last night, so if they lay again, i guess i will remove from tank into smaller hatchery and see what hapens.

Comment

Mine are still there, how long does it take for those things to hatch?

Comment

I read that it depends on species, but in general from 3 to 5 days and some up to 10 days. If they turn white, they have fungus and will not hatch. If fertile, they tend to be a little tan or clearer coloring.

Comment

Most of mine are light tan with a darker tan crescent in the center, some are just clear (without the crescent spot)

Comment

Tek I just saw a cory fry feeding on the bottom of my 75 gal. Soooo maybe there is more than one, but one definitely. Only took 3 days for hatching.

Comment

Never had cory's but most egg layers hatch and carry the egg sack for days. Exam. Angels hatch in 48 hours but carry the egg sack for 5 day. after the fry use up the eggsack you need to feed them fresh hatch brineshrimp.
                            Never having Corys not sure what they eat but I know they must eat... Pictures would be nice and maybe one off the more informed will chime in
                            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by thewahakid View Post
                              Tek I just saw a cory fry feeding on the bottom of my 75 gal. Soooo maybe there is more than one, but one definitely. Only took 3 days for hatching.
                              The eggs have all disappeared. Dunno if the hatched, and it will be a pain looking for fry. How big are they? The eggs were about pin-head sized so they can't be that big

Comment

Working...
                              X