Watch your fingers.....Snapping turtle in there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tek View Post
    we caught one about a year ago. Its shell was more square so must be a different type. He was pretty honery though. We just took some photos and let it loose. Had never been chased by a turtle before, that turtle was pissed that we woke it up.
    There are two types we have around here. The common (pictured) and the alligator. They can be pretty mean some times. A friend in LA. caught an 80 lb alligator snapper around the same time. That was one mean looking tank.

200 - African cichlids
    72 - Salty Bow Front
    33 Cube - community
    10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Originally posted by BrAin View Post
      There are two types we have around here. The common (pictured) and the alligator. They can be pretty mean some times. A friend in LA. caught an 80 lb alligator snapper around the same time. That was one mean looking tank.

Yeah, I think ours was an alligator snapper. It looked so mean.

The babies are so cute, would keep one if I didn't know what it grows into

Comment

The babies are so cute, would keep one if I didn't know what it grows into :grin:
        At least you can put one of these turtles back in to the wild.
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
          At least you can put one of these turtles back in to the wild.
          Saw a 4 inch baby last year, but it disappeared under some grass in a second, and I was not about to stick my fingers in there after it.

Besides it would probably reek havoc on my soft shelled turtles. Would have to keep it in a tank without other turtles.

My turtles are weird, they don't eat live fish, so that is another reason why I could not keep it with my other turtles. Bet this one would eat live fish

Comment

Last year I stopped and picked up a 5" off a bizzy street. put him in a big tub and gave it 8 feeders. He ate all but 2. climed out. We still see him in the yard some times. He has places to hide water and food and is about 6" now. I'm going to take him to the creek next time I see him.
            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
              That's a little one. You should see some of the monsters out in the swamps.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...fr=yfp-t-701-s

Mark
              different species

Comment

Originally posted by Tek View Post
                Saw a 4 inch baby last year, but it disappeared under some grass in a second, and I was not about to stick my fingers in there after it.

Besides it would probably reek havoc on my soft shelled turtles. Would have to keep it in a tank without other turtles.

My turtles are weird, they don't eat live fish, so that is another reason why I could not keep it with my other turtles. Bet this one would eat live fish

I realize this is an old thread, but I had to comment on the soft shelled turtles. I have a large pond on my property, and it has probably a dozen red eared sliders (wild), a large common snapping turtle (bought it as a baby from a pet store), and a trio of soft shelled turtles (1 is wild, the other 2 were bought from Hong Kong Market where they were being sold as food items). The soft shelled turtles are much smaller than the snapping turtle, but are that much more aggressive. They coexist just fine.

The pond is about 80x200ft, and no I do not want your plecos

Comment

Lol all they La. folk I work with eat every snapping turtle they ever come across...
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

Working...
                  X