No announcement yet.

Need recommendations on macro glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay for what you get, drop cash on the 105mm son!
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
      Pay for what you get, drop cash on the 105mm son!
      looking for one now lol.

My other glass is VR and I cant live without lol
      Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

I'd recommend the 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, and tamron 90mm f2.8 over the 105mm vr. All 3 lenses still under the price of the vr.

Comment

Tameron maybe....but 50mm and 35mm just can't get close like a macro.

Just ask Jim. Both those lens get punk daily on close up shots vs the 60mm.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Well that's what the 90mm would be for. What I'm saying is for the price of the 105mm vr ($960 new and 850 used). I rather buy a 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4 and a 90mm f2.8,

$175,$300, and $300.

Come out ahead with a more well rounded kit. And later upgrade to the vr if needed. With all the megapickles nowadays, you can crop the hell out of a picture and still get good results.
            Last edited by soymilk; 03-30-2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but OP wants a macro lens son.

For sure, for all around 1.4 or 1.8 would be better for low light.

I don't know how the tamron compares to Nikon. Bang for the buck tamron wins but nikkor should hold value better over time.
              Last edited by myjohnson; 03-30-2012, 08:50 PM.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Lots of info to process lol
                Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Lol, yeah and Soymilk is basically pro so I would give greater weight to what he posts. :)
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Here's my 2cents. A macro lens is nice, but it serves just mostly one purpose. I wouldn't spend more than 500 on a single purpose lens. Sure it can do portraits too, but 100mm (150mm equivalent on d90) is pretty hard to work with for an apsc camera. Most people find 50mm too tight to work with indoors.

The tamron 90mm f2.8 works pretty damn good, and gets good results. I've seen them sell for $250. The nice thing about buying used lenses is when you want to sell it. You can pretty much get what you paid. As much as I like my 100mm macro lens, I haven't touched it in months. It's sitting in a box somewhere. Theres also cheaper options out there. Extension tubes, flipping a lens, bellows and so on. Each of these cost less than $100 and is a good starting point.

There's always the option of cropping as well. Anyone want to play "macro lens or regular lens"? I post pictures, and you guess if it was taken with a macro lens or regular zoom lens and has been cropped.

Comment

just for shiggles.... which picture is taken with a macro and which wasn't? I left exif intact so you can check if you want.

Comment

round 2

Comment

For sure if you are going to use a macro lens like a normal lens there isn't much difference. The macro lens reproduction is still 1:1.

What makes the macro lens different is the ability to get right up to the subject.

Trying doing this with a 50/1.4 or a 35/1.8. I don't think it's going to happen....

I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Clean shot by the way!

That's POTM $hit son. :)
                            Last edited by myjohnson; 03-31-2012, 02:09 AM.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Damn! that's some schist right there!!!
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

What setting do I put my Canon SD800is for pics like that?
                                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                                X