Need recommendations on macro glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
    Lol, its a rat race man. Don't fall for it.
    What isn't cars houses etc....
    Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

• Never ending cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssrprelude View Post
        Never ending cycle.
        pretty much...
        Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by ssrprelude View Post
          "Awesome pics" a 35mm can only do so much. 60mm Micro will capture the smallest details and showcase those shrimps in their full glory.
          Only if you use the lens correctly, and you'd prob need at least a 100mm macro at least for the correct mfd for 1:1

The mfd to get 1:1 on the 60mm f2.8 micro is 8 inches. If you look on your camera, there's a symbol somewhere on it of circle and a line going though it. That's the sensor plane, it's 8 inches from that plane. So that only leaves you with 2-3 inches infront of the camera. If the shrimp is not along side the glass of the front of the tank, then you're not getting true 1:1. They originally made the 60mm for stuff like taking pictures of stamps.

100mm have a mfd of over 12 inches. Gives you about 6-7 inches infront of the lens to work with. But even this is limiting at times.

If its for web use, just crop the crap outta it.

Comment

• Originally posted by soymilk View Post
            Only if you use the lens correctly, and you'd prob need at least a 100mm macro at least for the correct mfd for 1:1

The mfd to get 1:1 on the 60mm f2.8 micro is 8 inches. If you look on your camera, there's a symbol somewhere on it of circle and a line going though it. That's the sensor plane, it's 8 inches from that plane. So that only leaves you with 2-3 inches infront of the camera. If the shrimp is not along side the glass of the front of the tank, then you're not getting true 1:1. They originally made the 60mm for stuff like taking pictures of stamps.

100mm have a mfd of over 12 inches. Gives you about 6-7 inches infront of the lens to work with. But even this is limiting at times.

If its for web use, just crop the crap outta it.
            I looked at the RAW images zoomed into the shrimp it looks good. I should just crop the living poop out of it...
            Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

• The best lens for this would be the Nikkor 200mm f/4 Micro Lens..

Comment

• haha true...

but i think the tamron 180mm works good here too. Considering its only 700 compared to 1700.

Comment

• Cropped some pictures I need more practice...

What mode would be better Aperture priority, Shutter, or manual?

Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

• Needed moar POP

Comment

• I would close the aperture all the way down to f/16 to f/22 to get more of the shrimp in focus, to do this you will need a hell of a lot of light in that tank. Would be best with a couple of external strobes, if you don't have strobes, its gonna be tough. Just don't let the strobes fall into the water, if it does, throw in some cajun seasoning and have yourself a shrimp boil.. :)

Best thing with strobes is that after the first zap, they'll be blinded by the light and will freeze for you for the next pic.. hahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by soymilk View Post
                        Needed moar POP

I need more practice with photochop lol
                        Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by Hangman View Post
                          I would close the aperture all the way down to f/16 to f/22 to get more of the shrimp in focus, to do this you will need a hell of a lot of light in that tank. Would be best with a couple of external strobes, if you don't have strobes, its gonna be tough. Just don't let the strobes fall into the water, if it does, throw in some cajun seasoning and have yourself a shrimp boil.. :)

Best thing with strobes is that after the first zap, they'll be blinded by the light and will freeze for you for the next pic.. hahaha
                          Yeah I don't have any strobes lol.
                          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

• Need recommendations on macro glass

SB-700 would be nice. I'm still learning mine I just got. Only thing I don't like about it is that the computer decides if you need BL (balanced fill flash) or nice by what type of light metering you use... That's of course assuming you are using iTTL.

The 35mm 1.8G is nice. Haven't used mine since I got the 50mm 1.4G and even more so since I got the 24-120mm F4 VR. I'm probably going to buy my mom and dad a D5000 or D5100 body and give them my 35mm 1.8G (since I haven't used it in almost 1.5 years).

I shoot a lot of macro. Over 10.5k shots last year alone. I love the Tamron 90mm 2.8 SP Di and Sigma 150mm 2.8 HSM EX (non-OS). I even use a Sigma 1.4x TC APO EX with the Siggy 150 with fantastic results. Of course, macro is 90% or so of my shooting in a year. For the D90 (I use to shoot one) Sigma HSM EX glass works great For contrast and color rendition. I highly suggest if you are going to get a macro lens (after this 35mm 1.8g you have gotten) look into the Sigma 105mm 2.8 HSM EX or Tamron 90mm 2.8 SP Di.

Comment

• i like the sigma 105 mm f2.8 micro for nikon

Comment

Working...
                              X