Mbu with ip's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mbu with ip's?

Guys i need a little help i just lost my 2 beloved fahakas to ick along with some other fish ....So i ended up with a mbu long story anyways hes about 5-6" and wont eat tried krill shrimp in garlic ,garlic laced in the shrimp , ghost shrimp,and a ramshorn snail .Hes in a quarintine tank bare bottom and i saw something white and stringy from his anus not completly white, white grayish.So i dont wanna lose this guy i would like to save him some how !I bought some jungle parisite clear fizz tabs ,but i'm reading that his food needs to be soaked in it and he wont eat and the box says but it in the tank ,so im lost and any help would be great !
    Thanks

Do a search, the puffer forum doesn't get much traffic so it wouldn't be too hard even if you have to search page by page.

imagirlgeek and edlmc has posted thoroughly about this problem, hope all ends well.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yea i looked at the pf ,but i wanted to get some info from different group to see options thats all but thank you alot for responding and i will check imagirlgeek and edlmc post
      Thanks

Comment

I mean the sub-forums on here.

I remember reading through a few of the IP threads just to read some personal experiences for future reference.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Did you also post this on mfk?
          mmm...pancakes

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
            I mean the sub-forums on here.

I remember reading through a few of the IP threads just to read some personal experiences for future reference.
            O ok lol yea im goin through them thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rgonzales View Post
              Did you also post this on mfk?
              yea thats me if it was earlier

Comment

Ok just checking, was gonna send you there if it wasnt you
                mmm...pancakes

Comment

Originally posted by rgonzales View Post
                  Ok just checking, was gonna send you there if it wasnt you
                  ok thanks .. i came here because ive been here alot latley reading and the forum has alot of info here and good people

Comment

Originally posted by AQUAMAN0306 View Post
                    ok thanks .. i came here because ive been here alot latley reading and the forum has alot of info here and good people
                    Hey, I saw your post over at PF. Welcome to the Box, first of all! And I think it's good of you to try to rescue this mbu. Cheers. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

I am not a huge expert, but one thing that I was surprised didn't get explored over on the PF is the stress. It's obviously not all of his issues, but worth keeping in mind as far as why he might not want to eat? I get the impression that the mbu has pretty recently been through the stress of being caught/shipped to the lfs, moved from the lfs to your friends house, then moved to your house, is that right?

I know my fahaka HATES change. Maybe he's just sulking, needs some time to settle in. I hope so. Have you tried something really meaty, maybe half a table shrimp, or a hunk of crab, soaked in garlic?...and if he'll start taking those, they'd be awesome little sponges for the meds, too.

Anyway, good luck. Keep us updated!
                    "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by LooksLater View Post
                      Hey, I saw your post over at PF. Welcome to the Box, first of all! And I think it's good of you to try to rescue this mbu. Cheers. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

I am not a huge expert, but one thing that I was surprised didn't get explored over on the PF is the stress. It's obviously not all of his issues, but worth keeping in mind as far as why he might not want to eat? I get the impression that the mbu has pretty recently been through the stress of being caught/shipped to the lfs, moved from the lfs to your friends house, then moved to your house, is that right?

I know my fahaka HATES change. Maybe he's just sulking, needs some time to settle in. I hope so. Have you tried something really meaty, maybe half a table shrimp, or a hunk of crab, soaked in garlic?...and if he'll start taking those, they'd be awesome little sponges for the meds, too.

Anyway, good luck. Keep us updated!
                      Hey and thanks for the warm welcome yea i think it was is alot of stress from all of the moving .Then he came down with ick but i caught it quick and hes looking better !Tonight he ate 1 piece of krill i left sit in garlic ,liquid garlic,bw,and a shrimp.I put the garlic pieces in the krill with tweezers and put it in front of his mouth and he chomped into it !I'm super excited about it , iwant some vitamin water though and i'm still not sure if i should medicate the food or wait till hes eating regularly i hate to mess up and add more stress but im open for opoions !
                      Maybe the garlic will work on the ip a little ?
                      Anyway i'm glad i ran across this forum on a google search i plan on hanging around for awhile . I'm not fro mhouston though i'm fro mthe great state of Alabama !!! ROLL TIDE !! i had to though that in lol

Comment

Hey and thanks for the warm welcome yea i think it was is alot of stress from all of the moving .Then he came down with ick but i caught it quick and hes looking better !Tonight he ate 1 piece of krill i left sit in garlic ,liquid garlic,bw,and a shrimp.I put the garlic pieces in the krill with tweezers and put it in front of his mouth and he chomped into it !I'm super excited about it , iwant some vitamin water though and i'm still not sure if i should medicate the food or wait till hes eating regularly i hate to mess up and add more stress but im open for opoions !
                        Maybe the garlic will work on the ip a little ?
                        Anyway i'm glad i ran across this forum on a google search i plan on hanging around for awhile . I'm not fro mhouston though i'm fro mthe great state of Alabama !!! ROLL TIDE !! i had to though that in lol
                        Glad you caught the ick quickly, I'm sure that made a difference in how he's been feeling. And he's eating, woo-hoo!! That's so great. Personally, I would wait a bit to start IP treatment, I think unless it's a really severe case it can take a backseat to finishing ick meds and letting him settle in a bit, but that's just my opinion. If someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I'd listen to them.

I've had my fahaka about a month, and I just started her IP treatment because I wanted to build the bond and figure out her favorites, and it's taken this long for her to settle in and unquestioningly take what I give her. But I have to say, the garlic and vitamins I've been putting in her food this last month HAS made a noticeable difference in her coloring, and poo color/consistency. I've heard a lot of back and forth about whether or not garlic is effective against IP's, but in my personal experience, it seems to help a little even if it doesn't do the trick entirely.

We're glad you ran across the forum, too! Honestly, I did months and months of research and forum lurking before I got Suki, and turns out the best forum I've ever seen is right in my backyard. The kindness and awesomeness of HFB people is pretty legendary...you'll notice we've got LOTS of people from all over the states and beyond. It's just a great place, I don't know what I would do without it! Anyway, keep us updated- good luck with your mbu!! By the way, does he have a name yet??
                        "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by LooksLater View Post
                          Glad you caught the ick quickly, I'm sure that made a difference in how he's been feeling. And he's eating, woo-hoo!! That's so great. Personally, I would wait a bit to start IP treatment, I think unless it's a really severe case it can take a backseat to finishing ick meds and letting him settle in a bit, but that's just my opinion. If someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I'd listen to them.

I've had my fahaka about a month, and I just started her IP treatment because I wanted to build the bond and figure out her favorites, and it's taken this long for her to settle in and unquestioningly take what I give her. But I have to say, the garlic and vitamins I've been putting in her food this last month HAS made a noticeable difference in her coloring, and poo color/consistency. I've heard a lot of back and forth about whether or not garlic is effective against IP's, but in my personal experience, it seems to help a little even if it doesn't do the trick entirely.

We're glad you ran across the forum, too! Honestly, I did months and months of research and forum lurking before I got Suki, and turns out the best forum I've ever seen is right in my backyard. The kindness and awesomeness of HFB people is pretty legendary...you'll notice we've got LOTS of people from all over the states and beyond. It's just a great place, I don't know what I would do without it! Anyway, keep us updated- good luck with your mbu!! By the way, does he have a name yet??
                          Yea i think i'm gonna wait on ip meds also untill i'm thru with the ick ordeal and have him eating good!If you dont mind me asking what kinda vitamins are you using ,is it in the water already ?
                          I had 3 fahakas but am down to 1 aka "puff daddy", big daddy and chico were lost to ick !
                          My boys named the mbu" puffy"but they may change it if we keep him .. I dont have 1000 gallon tank and dont plan on one lol!
                          I've read and know people who have had them for years in 200 to 500 gallon tanks,i have a 300 but dont know yet maybe we'll see how it goes i'm trying not to get attached but it's hard not too when he gives you that thank you look

Comment

Yea i think i'm gonna wait on ip meds also untill i'm thru with the ick ordeal and have him eating good!If you dont mind me asking what kinda vitamins are you using ,is it in the water already ?
                            I had 3 fahakas but am down to 1 aka "puff daddy", big daddy and chico were lost to ick !
                            My boys named the mbu" puffy"but they may change it if we keep him .. I dont have 1000 gallon tank and dont plan on one lol!
                            I've read and know people who have had them for years in 200 to 500 gallon tanks,i have a 300 but dont know yet maybe we'll see how it goes i'm trying not to get attached but it's hard not too when he gives you that thank you look
                            I use what the puffer experts here on the box recommend, freshwater Vita-chem. here's a link, you usually have to mail-order, I know i couldn't find it anywhere around here...I put around 5-10 drops maybe (lol, I don't know, a good squirt) in her food, along with some garlic as I'm thawing it, let it soak a few minutes.

I think that sounds like the most sane plan, they usually live with IP's their entire life in the wild so IMO, they can surely take it a little longer while you get them eating good. It makes sense, one thing at a time. And sounds like this puffer has been through enough recently! Poor guy. I'm glad he found someone caring enough to do what it takes to make him healthy, cheers again.

Lol, you sound like you might be thinking about that 1000g!! I know what you mean, though- I used to volunteer at a shelter and take home dogs to socialize and nurse back to weight, it is sooOoo hard not to fall in love and end up keeping them. I'd be lying if i said I always resisted. I ended up keeping a badly abused bird dog mix for about a year who couldn't control her bladder when she was spooked, which was quite a bit...she never would have avoided euthanizing and been homed otherwise. Yeeeah...I know that look, I'm a sucker for that look...:love:!!

Sometimes they just need us, maybe for longer than we planned, but- you're doing a good thing, I'm sure it'll work out for "Puffy"- and you guys- in the end!

Comment

Any updates? How's Puffy?

Comment

Working...
                              X