Cross bred L144 short fin/blue eyes and L144 Longfin albino- all dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross bred L144 short fin/blue eyes and L144 Longfin albino- all dark

I may have stated the title incorrectly... It is L144 short fin blue eyed male crossed with Long fin albino bn. Feel free to correct me if I got it wrong.
    This is sort of a question for a friend and sort of a question for me.
    The "for me" part is that the babies are living in my aquariums now.
    The original owner only had female albino long fins and they crossed with blue eyed short fins.
    He had NO brown BNs (or any other coloration) in the tank.
    All babies came out brown, mixture of long and short fins (almost equal ratio) with tiny white spots and white stripes on the tail.
    Has anyone had this happen? Will one of these crossing with an albino create 1/4albino?
    I was thinking that since the albino originally came from the recessive, pigment depleted brown, it would still have that chance of throwing browns. but ALL were brown with white tiny spots. I am asking more for general knowledge than anything.
    Last edited by dblondfemme; 02-12-2012, 09:52 AM.
    5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
    20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
    29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
    29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
    29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
    55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
    75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
    / 10+" oscar/ parrot

I have looked on the web and have come across posts on other forums which sound similar, but no one has any answers. I am wondering if since the blue eyed would be considered a leucistic of sorts.. if that means the common BN coloration would be carried by the blue eyes... and therefor come out when mixed with the common albino.
    5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
    29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
    / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

In My limited expeience this is something that cannot really be calculated. The fish will throw out different color/fins and the ratios will be constantly changing. I have several LF browns/ Green mixes that throw out all different colors/ fins. The ratios are always different and they seem to throw out different color fish almost every spawn. There are several ratio calculations that people use to determine the ratio a given pair will turn out, however you must be able to trace the fish back several generations to use them properly.
      Hope this helps
      Mike

Comment

lmk if you're parting with any of the blue short fins.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I don't know the exact details, but here is my best guess. The blue eyes only stay leucistic when crossed with other leucistics, crossing with an albino or brown will result in all brown. Just like if you cross an albino with a brown (with no albino genetics), you will get all brown fry.

Comment

Clay
            I am not sure that L144's are actually leucistic as their normal coloration is the orange that they show. As I understand true 144's are a cave species that occures with this color pattern and the blue/black eyes, while albino or leucistic animals are a morph from the normal coloration as in a white tiger or snake. A cross with another color morph causes other color morphs deopending on ancestry. A brown albino mix will throw out some of each at a ratio determined by each fishes parents ETC. Thats about as far as I can go into the genetics and seems to match what I've seen breeding the fish.
            Mike

Comment

EK I don't have the blues.. I only have the long fin females and the baby brown/white tip tails
              / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

You get all kinds of reports with the black/blue eyed / 144 pleco. Some say it is a leucistic version of the common bristle nose, some say it is a cave species. I think Planet Catfish says that true L144s are a species that you don't find in stores, and that all the "L144's" that are for sale are actually leucistc versions of the common bristle nose. I don't know the true answer; however, from my experience, what I call L144's stay smaller and don't grow as fast as common bristlenoses or albino bristlenoses.

Comment

Working...
                X