Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official, I'm an oscar addict apparently.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Official, I'm an oscar addict apparently.

Yepo, so I picked up an Oscar from a guy here on the board.. I'm surprised he had such a hard time getting rid of such a BEAUTIFUL specimen. I swear, the copper color against the black of this red oscar is freaking unreal... lol But unfortunately he/she/it Can't hang with my two big Oscars... lol. Apparently 2 is company and 3 is a croud in my 170 lol.

For now he's sitting in a holding tank and will be upgraded to a 75g of his own. He doesn't have a name... yet. Not sure what to name him yet. A Friend of mine is a Drummer who tours with a few different band... I gotta ask him what brand his drum set is and hopefully it's a fitting name for a fish.

Don't get me wrong, I adore my oscars. and this guy is SO skittish it isn't funny. he's terrified of everything. I just got him -kind- of used to me. He refuses to take ANY food from my hand still, but he'll at least come out from behind everything to get a pellet with me standing there now. I have no idea how old he is, he's only 5" a little less than half the size of my two first oscars, but his eyes are Just as big, if not bigger than my other o's eyes. Just an odd trait I noticed.

So yeah, Just to see what happened I plopped him into my 170 and less than a heartbeat later My two oscars where on him like stink on... well you know. I -had- to remove him. Now my other two oscars, which I vented, since they are large enough and appear to be opposite genders, the Lutino's 'parts' look like oO and the Tiger oscars looks like oo, have been Fighting every single day since I dropped the other guy in the tank and took him out. They have not hurt each other at all, and It's been a few days. In between bouts they clean off this one black river stone I have in there and have dug an amazing pit right at the front center of the tank.

Now, When I got them, they were 2 1/2 inches, and that was on Sept. 15th 2011. They are now 10-11" I assume when I aquired them they were about 2-3 months, we'll go with 3. That would make them around 7 months old. My question is, When do oscars typically pair up, if they are going to? I've read that often they'll pair up, [Male to female, or even female to female] and go through the breeding rituals before they are sexually mature [12-24 months]. Has anyone had experiences that led them to believe this is true?

I don't plan on splitting my two original os up unless they seriously hurt each other, which they haven't yet. but I have been having to mop up around my aquarium a few times a day because of the splashing... lol

Their fights consist of this usually, The Lutino [apparently female from the venting] Will open her mouth and push against the tiger's[apparently male from the venting] side, he'll face her, they'll lunge at each other a few times before lip locking, Splashing around and thrashing. The longest lock they had was about 10 minutes. After the fights they immediately go to cleaning off rocks and digging pits, the key here is together... In between bouts they get along fine.

Anyone have any thoughts? =)
    Last edited by DaiMasters; 07-13-2012, 02:03 AM.

I never had luck with mine breeding( both females as I later found out)

But I have really been think about getting back into oscars and have been doing alot of reading on this site.

Join Oscar The Fish Lover on a deep dive into the fascinating world of fishkeeping! Discover comprehensive guides, expert reviews, and tips!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I go there a lot actually. =)

Comment

It's a really good site. I like it alot. You have any pics of the oscars?
        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=2733b3f381 These aren't terribly recent, but they are good pictures none the less. =)

Comment

Very nice. Would be cool to see fry from an albino and a regular tiger. Never know might get something cool.
            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I know right? I was thinking maybe some could turn out almost Piebald Like you see in pythons and other species. =)

Oh yeah, she's a Lutino... if you look close, not a true albino. She's got the black trim on her fins =)

Comment

I'll have a closer look. Couldn't really see pics very well since they were blocked.
                ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Sure enough. Very pretty fish. Trying to convince the wife to let me get another tank for oscars. Not really working to well right now.
                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I have a coworker who recently lost her larger oscar to hole in the head disease which happened shortly after she bought it feeders from WalMart. She is now MUCH more picky in her choice of foods and where she buys them. After speaking with me and seeing pictures and stories of my fish/tanks, she bought herself two 1/5" oscars. Each day I hear more and more stories of her "kids". She now watches water parameters, she doesn't empty the tank to clean it. She understands she has to put up with the nitrogen cycle in order to get her clear water (previously she would dose with chemicals to make it look "clean"). She now feeds less to prevent problems and totally enjoys her happy, healthy, growing fish. Within a short few weeks, the two fish have grown more than two inches and she is thrilled. I can feel her pride as she brags at training them to swim around this log, or through this rock in order to get a pellet from her fingers. So as I read your story, and look at your pictures, I can feel the enjoyment you are getting from your "kids"
                    5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
                    20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
                    29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
                    29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
                    29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
                    55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
                    75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
                    / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Thank you. I have given my guys feeders, a few times... and nearly lost Yang, the lutino, to something not Hith though. Used melafix and she pulled through. Yin's never been ill, he's gotten bumps and scratches from bumping into things lol. So now, if I give feeders they get quarantined first. Though that shouldn't be a problem now, since my cons had fry. =) The newest just got named Crush. My friend is a drummer who tours all over with different smaller bands. He's got a set of drums that are a copper gradient into black in color. Identical to the colors of this new Oscar. He is so distrusting of me it is unreal, I think it's because I dropped him into the tank where he got completely just pummeled. I've just a feeling a 170 is not quite big enough for 3 oscars... lol

Comment

I am confident Crush is in perfect hands. Are you not worried about the convicts being far more boney than regular feeder fish? Just wondering. Or is that a stupid question? I love how you came up with his name. He will come around once he knows life is safe. ;-)
                        5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
                        20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
                        29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
                        29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
                        29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
                        55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
                        75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
                        / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

I'm not too worried about it, They are central/south American too, and They'll be so small the bones shouldn't really matter I'll start feeding them to the Os when they are about 3/4". I'm seriously considering turning our unused bathtub[72g] into a fry grow-out tank... >.>; But yeah, I read a few people bring up the concern of the bones, and the spiny fins, but I've also read some very good results from feeding cons. They are a bit quicker than feeders, and give the O's a more vigorous work out, and since they are so small when you feed them to the os the bones aren't really a concern. The only downside I've heard is that they grow slow. I guess i'll find out. I think if I keep up with my water changes and keep the temp at 82 they'll grow out at a decent pace.

Comment

Hi

This was Jan 28. Did they spawn yet? If not I think you have an oscar spawn in the near future. If you want to raise the babies, put a large flat rock for them to spawn on and try to make it so they can't get to the glass bottom of the tank because they could spawn on the bottom of the tank.

Comment

Nope not yet, they've gotten pretty big though. They're a bit young still though, I hear it can take up to 2 years for them to reach sexual maturity.

Comment

Working...
                              X