No announcement yet.

40 Gallon Breeder / Mixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the most part that is accurate. The ATO I am using only runs a certain amount of time before shutting off to prevent overflow. The Sump is holding about 10 gallons of water , but the return part of the sump is less then 2 gallons. So, yes the 40 gallon/5gallon does have enough to hold the approximate 4-5 gallons that might come from the return if I lose siphon. I have 2 different overflow systems so the chance of both them loosing siphon is slim...I hope! In the case where the return pump goes out, the 40 gallon and 5 gallon will not drain more then the 10 gallons of space I have in the sump......(This will be tested before setup is complete. LOL). As far as the filtration goes I have to 20-30lbs of live rock in display tank, shallow sand bed in tank, Deep sand bed in sump, Macro algae in sump, Mangrove in sump, sock filter, ASM Mini G skimmer(rated for 75 plus gallons.)....I think that covers all the filtration....

@Rage -Hope I am not coming off as rude. Keep the questions coming. Makes me double check everything!

Comment

OCREEF PAR38s - Anyone seen these before? I was thinking about using one or two as my light over 5 gallon tank. Think it can handle SPS frags? I think one would be enough for 5 gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by tntdsol View Post
        For the most part that is accurate. The ATO I am using only runs a certain amount of time before shutting off to prevent overflow. The Sump is holding about 10 gallons of water , but the return part of the sump is less then 2 gallons. So, yes the 40 gallon/5gallon does have enough to hold the approximate 4-5 gallons that might come from the return if I lose siphon. I have 2 different overflow systems so the chance of both them loosing siphon is slim...I hope! In the case where the return pump goes out, the 40 gallon and 5 gallon will not drain more then the 10 gallons of space I have in the sump......(This will be tested before setup is complete. LOL). As far as the filtration goes I have to 20-30lbs of live rock in display tank, shallow sand bed in tank, Deep sand bed in sump, Macro algae in sump, Mangrove in sump, sock filter, ASM Mini G skimmer(rated for 75 plus gallons.)....I think that covers all the filtration....

@Rage -Hope I am not coming off as rude. Keep the questions coming. Makes me double check everything!
        If you have all of those means of filtration, a little less rocks is fine.

About the ATO, it will shut off once it fills the sump to a pre-determined level, right? If you lose siphon and your return pump sends all of the water in the return chamber to the main tank, won't the ATO keep running to refill?

You have 2 overflows but one for each tank right? Whichever one loses siphon is the one with the overflow problem.

I am not saying it will happen, you just need to design your system to prevent these things from happening.

Comment

I understand what you are saying about ATO running if I lose siphon. However, it is programmable to run a certian amount then shut off. Say it runs for two minutes( keep in mind it is running off really small pump) then the ATO will automatically shut off the pump. It stays off until I hit the reset button on the ATO. This way if I lose siphon it will not over flow.

Comment

Anyone got a suggestion for a decent return pump? I am looking for something that pumps about 300gallons and 5-6ft head height.

Comment

Originally posted by tntdsol View Post
              Anyone got a suggestion for a decent return pump? I am looking for something that pumps about 300gallons and 5-6ft head height.
              I think quiet ones are pretty good

Comment

I had 2 Quiet One 3000. They work real well, real quiet. I made the mistake of opening one up to clean. Now I can't get it to run again.

Comment

Originally posted by rage View Post
                  I had 2 Quiet One 3000. They work real well, real quiet. I made the mistake of opening one up to clean. Now I can't get it to run again.
                  They don't hardly ever need cleaned

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't cleaned them for 2, 3yrs but when I opened one up, it was quite dirty in there.

Comment

LOL I will look into them. Something that does need to be cleaned in a saltwater aquarium is intriguing to me. Not very many things people can say that about.

Comment

Update - I am going with a Mag 7 as a return pump...Thanks Semper. I Plan on Teeing this return off and running some of the flow boack into the sump for extra filtration. I placed my order from Live aquacave today so it should be coming in soon. Also I bought an ASM G1 off of RC that will replace the original ASM mini G. Hopefully I will be able to get it up and running soon. I will post pics as soon as I do...

On a side note I am converting my 29 Biocube to a frog fish tank soon. I am removing the stock hood and replacing it with LEDs. It will be stocked with Zoas/Mushroom. The only livestock in the tank will be the Angler, unless I decide to chance a dwarf eel.(very unlikely)

Comment

Working...
                        X