700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

OKay so here with what I am looking at:

1.maroon clown
      1. ibelle angel
      1. Starry Blenny
      1. Sixline
      4. fire fish (2 Purple and 2 Orange)

Is this too much? I am pretty sure all these fish stay fairly small. Can a yellow watchman goby with all these? I know the blenny can get pretty aggressive towards some fish.

Comment

maybe you can add the blenny later when you get more algae growth... but a watchman goby is cool I had one in my reefmix long time ago- he ate pellet food but then he got eaten by my angler...
        -Chowchaucow

Comment

Also, I am not sure what lights I want to get. I have it narrowed down to 2 sets. I know the are not TEK,ATI Etc, but they are what I can afford and what I think will work. Check out the link and let me know what you all think.

LED - http://www.aquastyleonline.com/produ...mable-Kit.html (These 2x with the heatsink fan) The 18 white,16blue, 2 UV

OR

T5 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/370573909640...84.m1423.l2649 (I would buy this fixture then buy bulbs from elsewhere. The bulbs would be 4xATI Blue+,1x KZ fiji purple, 1x GE 6500k)

They are going to equal about the same price at first, but I would have to replace T5 bulbs ofter and the T5 will use more power. Anyway let me know what you think. Which one would you use on your tank?

Comment

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I would go with the T5. My reasons are as follows: first based on my experience T5 is a proven work horse that can produce great results, LEDs are still in its infancy and the technology is growing every couple of months. So what you have now may be old tech in a year. Second from what I researched about LEDs, usually on the 3w diodes they really are outputting 2w due primarily to trying to not overdrive the diodes and make them last longer. With that being said the total wattage on the LED is 72W and you can take the total watt and multiple by 2-2.5 to get an equivalent T5 wattage which would put you at 140-180W. Now that is good enough to keep LPS but might not be able to keep SPS. The T5 shouldnt have any problems with SPS, with its individual reflectors and all. I would go with T5
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Soy- I already have the blenny, I am feeding him dried seaweed.

Darbex - I have heard a lot of

Comment

I have heard a lot of people saying that the LEDs are good to go. Part of my concern is the amount of heat T5s will put off on a 40 breeder and having to change the bulbs every 6-8 months. I do plan on having some SPS, and clams so I want to ensure I get the right lights from the start. The LEDS will put off less heat, use less, power and dont have to be changed every 6 months?....Correct? Have I been miss informed?

I am running 4 bulb t5 right now and have not been that impressed.

Comment

I ran T5 ATI on my 34G with great light and it was actually to strong on 6 bulbs and had to back it down to 4. The temp on the tank stayed at 79. My problem with LED is that its very directional lighting, which makes it more efficient, but creates a lot of shadowing and the par values drop quickly outside the optic. The thing I like about T5 and MH is that you can have corals partially obstructing direct light and the coral on the bottom will still get good light. IME with the LEDs it wont. Now some of the LED cannons look pretty promising but the cost of those are very high right now.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I would favor T5 over all except the T5+MH combo.

Also, be carefule with the angel in the small tank. They require a good amount of area to live.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It sounds like T5 is the general way to go. I was able to check out Semper's T5s today and I was really impressed. I will watch the angel, I dont plan on over loading the tank with LR/etc. So, I think the angel will be fine.

Comment

I would do T5.

And you already know. ATI bulbs down the road will be a great upgrade.

In that setup you saw today.

I have

Blue plus
                        aquablue special
                        Blue plus
                        Aquablue special
                        UVL actinic white
                        Purple plus

Super growth and good color. I would like more blue plus but I already had these new bulbs

You saw how big some of those Corals were.

Comment

Yes, your tanks look awesome today. I only hope mine tune out that well. That is similar to the bulbs I was thinking.

Blue+ (ATI)
                          Ge6500K (GE)
                          Blue+ (ATI)
                          Fiji Purple (KZ)
                          Blue+ (ATI)
                          Blue+ (ATI).

Comment

What do epoxy/plaster do you use to hold rock together? I don't have drill to use rods.

Comment

Best I have used is Boston Aquatics, they sell it at CP.
                              Resident fish bum
                              330G FOWLR
                              34G Reef
                              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Thanks I am going this weekend to CP I will check it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X