Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 Gallon Breeder / Mixed

Good afternoon,

I am in the process of setting up a 40 gallon mixed reef and wanted some input on the setup. Below is a list of what I will be running. Let me know if there is anything I can add to make it better, yet keep in mind I am on a budget. There will be a little sand in the tank(just enough to cover bottom) and the sump/fuge will have a deep sand bed. Roughly 25-35lbs of live rock in tank.
    1. 40 gallon breeder
    2. 20 gallon sump/fuge
    3. 6 bulb t5 fixture
    4. ASM mini G in sump
    5. Reactor with bio pellets
    6. 4xKoralia water movers (2xsize3,2xsize4)
    7. Custom ATO from autotopoff.com
    8. Canister filter(Undecided which one, this will be a back up filter mainly).

Any thing else we can think of? Once again keep in mind I am on a tight budget, so lets not go over board.....Please

Thanks
    TNT

I would look into a vortech... ditch the 4 koralias cause one vortech would do what all those can't.

The canister idea IMO is not needed, use that money for the battery back up for the vortech and you have your bio filtration backed up. (All the live rock serves as bio and keeping the circulation going is what's needed)
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I understand what you are saying about the vortech, just don't have that much right now. I am looking a wave maker in the future. I already have the koralias on hand so I am not out nay $$ using them. Anyone have any experience / opinion on this link? I am looking at the wave maker and LED system from them. May go with LED instead of T5

Comment

Says page not found.

With LEDs you need to make sure they are powerful leds and not just led lighting limited to "viewing power" only. Which could get pricey compared to T5s.

With the koralias... since you've got them then its justified. Wouldn't waste money on a wave controller for them though. IME not worth the money. You could sell them off and look for a used mp20 out even mp40
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Let me try the link again. It is a wave maker from another company for 85 and 36 LED DIY system for 99$. If it comes up let me know what you think.

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/produ...mable-Kit.html

Comment

That is the link to 24 LED DIY. Just look for the 36LED and wave maker

Comment

Hmmm... those are the china knock off brands and the description is vague.

I'm on my phone but the LEDs look to be good. Id be kinda skeptical but if they are cree leds then you've found a great deal.

The wavemaker I wouldn't wast money on. The old koralias has problems with reverse start up at times and if the wave maker is a pulsing one (on/off) then it would cause more problems then just running a stagnant flow.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have several Koralia 4 used and new for $20-$45 and they push water around just fine for me.
                For a 40G, you don't need but maybe 2 of them.

I don't have LED but I understand the ones that work cost a lot.

Comment

There's some info on Marsh and reefcentral about the aquastyle leds, I believe they are Bridgelux's. They look like a good option for softies and LPS corals, not sure about SPS. I have two 750's koralia's in my 40br and seems to be plenty of movement. I was also on a budget when I did mine but it can be done if you are DIY'er. If you would like to take a look at mine or have questions shoot me a PM.

Comment

Yea after a little more research I have decided to stick with the T5 bulb. Cichlid I will PM you, always interested in seeing a setup. From the feed back I am getting it sounds like I have pretty much everything. However, I decided today to run the 20L as the fuge and will be setting up a 10GL as a sump. After the feedback I will not be using a canister filter, unless I just run across a good one for real cheap. Am I missing anything else? Rage are you selling the K4s?

Comment

Sorry no.

Comment

LOL Okay

Comment

From my experience Koralia will move water just fine but once you get an MP you want go back. The capabilities of it makes it far cheaper. I had koralias on a wave maker and it's nothing like an MP. You could hear the Koralia restart every time since you can't adjust the speed like an MP. Everything else sounds fine but stay away from the canister.
                          Resident fish bum
                          330G FOWLR
                          34G Reef
                          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Now what about stocking? I alreayd have:
                            1 Maroon clown
                            1 Red stripe angel
                            1 Starry Blennie

This fish will be coming from my current tank. What other fish would be recommended? I was Thinking about a Six Line or White Banded Possum Wrasse. I was also looking at Fire fish. I have seen 40 gallons with multiple clowns in them. What about adding a couple more clowns? These are just ideas, so let me know what you would put in yours.

Comment

in my 55g that I have I will soon add 2 clowns and 3 blue green chromis.
                              10g Community Planted Aquarium
                              10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
                              55g Saltwater Aquarium-
                              20gH-Angelfish Planted Aquarium
                              20gL-Leopard Gecko

A 13 Year Old Teen Who Loves his animals!!
                              YOUTUBE: Michael15551

Comment

Working...
                              X