Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations for finding Houston hardscape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations for finding Houston hardscape?

Are there any creeks in Houston that have good rocks/driftwood?

There are lots of places along the San jacinto river but it's best to get along it via boat
    75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
    28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
    12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
    29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
    45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
    33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

I have to admit, I have thought of grabbing a piece of wood here and there...but... Is there a high risk of introducing something bad to your tank? Do you treat it some particular way to make it safe for your tank?
      Good luck with your search. Sorry post questions here, but the people who will respond will be the people who know...and perhaps even you know the answers to my questions.
      5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
      20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
      29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
      29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
      29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
      55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
      75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
      / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

I hear for rocks do the vinegar test.

For wood I'd boil it and then just leave it soaking to get the tanin out.

Anyone know of any easy accessible places near NW Houston/Katy?

Comment

i got some drift wood from the bazos river and 1 part bleach and 20 parts water let soke for about an hour then rinsed and soked for a few days befor i put in tank and never had any problems and this was with discus in my tank

Comment

I have not found much in the Houston bayous that I like, I get most of my wood from central Texas (Although I did get some from Anahauc for my cypress knees.)

For Rock....well that is different. I usually buy it from rock yards because I don't like most of the natural rock that we have in the Texas area.
            Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Comment

Working...
            X