Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prohibited Texas Fish... to import, possess, sell, or place in water in this state

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
    Any know the rule for fw rays? I'm looking to get some if possible.

List says they are all illegal but I have reports of some for sale at a lfs.
    I'm thinking black diamond or p14 rays.

I'm guessing those are illegal?
    Originally posted by TaTeR ToT View Post
    Motoros, black diamond, rose rays ect. Are all illegal. But nothing's impossible...
    The only species of rays for sale legally are Atlantic rays also Florida brown stingrays. They get about 24-36" disc size and run about $130 on avg for an 8" - 10" disc size juvie.
    Anything in the Family Potamotrygonidae is illegal. These are, I believe, all of South American origin. The Genus of the motoros, black diamonds, etc. is Potamotrygon.

The brown ray is in the the Genus Dasyatis. I do not see the Family Dasyatidae on the list.
    Last edited by TonyO; 02-02-2012, 10:54 PM.
    Tell your boss you need to go home to take care of your "cichlids." It sounds an awful lot like "sick kids." )

Comment

Do you want a dollar?
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

lol.. Thai, I got the hookups on some illegal guppies. Hit me up.
        300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

I don't wish to keep any illegal fish!
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Do you want a dollar?
            No. I'm clarifying why some are illegal (like the motoros), and why some probably aren't (brown ray). . .
            Last edited by TonyO; 02-03-2012, 11:37 PM.
            Tell your boss you need to go home to take care of your "cichlids." It sounds an awful lot like "sick kids." )

Comment

Lol, just messing with you tony.

Thanks for the clarification! :)
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I figured as much!

Comment

Here is a good detailed with picture showing what is legal and what is not :) enjoy!!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_t3200_0376_refguide.pdf

Comment

I can certainly understand the ideology and work that many did in putting the banned plant/fish list together. It was quite impressive and was obviously well thought out, very comprehensive and well done. My issue with it lies in their absolute dropped ball when it comes to enforcement. I am of the opinion that we as advanced hobbyists are the only ones that are even aware it exists and follow its directives. There are far too many bizarre loopholes and unregulated manners in which to acquire nearly anything on these lists should you desire to. There is a plethora of banned plants at numerous local fish stores for sale under the actual name that is banned. There is no one enforcing these rules on anyone and the ideology behind these rules was meant for casual hobbyists that would disregard or misunderstand the reasons for not releasing exotic species. With the current trend toward web based sales, its unlikely any supplier will know the ban in Texas, so they are shipped here and everyone is unaware of breaking any laws. There are numerous cases of silly and quite arbitrary rulings that hint of ridiculousness (FW stingrays are legal in La., but not here even though we are nearly identical in enviroment...) and overzealousness by a tiny few biologists and government reps (obviously experts in the field). It is just silly in my opinion and I have arrived at the point that if no one else is to care or enforce this, then there is absolutely no reason I should abide by its tomfoolery either. Perhaps if some reason and thought were behind these bans I could appreciate and assist in explaining them to others, but they are insane and no one has stepped forward to explain any rationale at all behind these silly rules. I have half a mind that if I were hauling illegal stingrays across the La. border and were pulled over they would be far more interested in illegal immigrants or drugs and a simple 'Those are for my fishtank..." and a half stupid glazed look would have me with a thanks and off I'd go...
                    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

Law is the Law..

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
                      N.A.D.A Facebook
                      Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Yeah, who is enforcing it? The 2 biologists in Austin?
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

you stated your opinion..

i stated mine..

N.A.D.A Facebook
                          Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Well said, did not mean to sound harsh. Its just been frustrating as of late. How are stores in Austin about the list?
                            Desiderius Erasmus
                            GHAC President

Comment

No rays...

i learned about the list when i try to give away FROGBIT>. i was told it was illegal in TEXAS>> YIKES!!!

found it it was another type..

... i was at petsmart and person brought in a baby RATTLESNAKE>. and was trying to trade it in.. LOL
                              Last edited by Warlock; 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM.

N.A.D.A Facebook
                              Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                                Well said, did not mean to sound harsh. Its just been frustrating as of late. How are stores in Austin about the list?
                                Zac at B&B told me that the game warden once came and did an informal walk-through inspection for illegal fishes of his pet store. It all started when he got the call from the airport that a shipment of live fishes was not picked up, so they wanted to know if he wanted them. He brought them in and there were some live eels. He put them up for sale for some low price, unsure of their value. They were just the normal eels that you see for sale as dead food items at the Asian market. A customer came in and bought one of the two eels. No big deal, then came back a few days later and bought the last eel. The very next day the game warden showed up in his marked truck and in uniform, looked around the store, tank by tank. Then asked Zac straight up if he sold any freshwater eels. Zac told him no, so the game warden left.

It wasn't until after the visit that he looked it up and found out that freshwater eels are illegal in Texas.

In only a matter of days, word got around to the game warden that ______ Fish Store was selling _______ illegal fish, so the game warden went to check it out. I think it is being enforced, and most every pet store is smart enough to know what they can and can not sell. To date, I haven't seen any illegal fish for sale in any fish store in the Houston area.

Comment

Working...
                                X