lime scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lime scale

ok... how in the heck are ya supposed to get that white crusty stuff off... I tried vinegar... soaked the areas with vinegar soaked paper towels for an hour or more... still nasty... glass all rough and pasty looking... is there a place to buy 20 % acidic vinegar? most stores only sell 5%...

CLR for bath tubs, just make sure you soak it good afterwards
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I've heard CLR works great.

Comment

You should try C.L.R ....LOL !
        Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
        Mark Twain

Comment

I got a 20 from craig's list and it had allot of scale. I layed paper towels on the glass and soaked them with white vinegar. Also used a razor blade to scrape the high spots down. I even used CLR on it and I still couldn't get all traces of the scale off. I did get enough off that the water hides the remaining deposits once they are wet.
          DOWNSTAIRS display tanks:
          20g - 1 yellow Glowfish, 1 long-fin Danio and 3 Cherry Barbs
          37g - 3 Zebra Danios, 5 Red Serpae Tetras, Dwarf Flame Gourami and Red Tail Shark
          10g - single male Betta (daughters responsibility)
          UPSTAIRS research/quarantine tanks:
          10g - mosquitofish tank awaiting rebuild
          20g - heavily fake planted housing 8 Dwarf Gourami RIP Blue, Flame and unnamed
          20g - empty tank with beautiful black Tahitian moon sand
          10g - hospital sterilized and dry :-)
          5.5g - fry tank with mosquitofish born 1 Mar 2012

Comment

Originally posted by afremont View Post
            I got a 20 from craig's list and it had allot of scale. I layed paper towels on the glass and soaked them with white vinegar. Also used a razor blade to scrape the high spots down. I even used CLR on it and I still couldn't get all traces of the scale off. I did get enough off that the water hides the remaining deposits once they are wet.
            ya think a wire brush on a power drill would get that crap off?... i know acid will do it, just need some stronger than the 5% acidic vinegar they sell in grocery stores....

Comment

ok, I've researched CLR and it is biodegradeable and water renders it inert... so... looks like I will risk it and use some CLR... still iffy about it, but i'll rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse one last time lol

Comment

Originally posted by CRUSHER View Post
                ya think a wire brush on a power drill would get that crap off?... i know acid will do it, just need some stronger than the 5% acidic vinegar they sell in grocery stores....
                That might take it off, but it will surely scratch the heck out of the tank glass. Be careful with a razor blade as it is hard enough to scratch the glass. Keep it as flat as possible to keep the corners of the blade from digging in and keep clear of the silicone.

A while back, I did a bunch of reading about CLR and there were two schools of thought on it. There were folks that insisted that it would permanently poison the tank and then there were the folks that actually had used it and not had any problems. CLR doesn't appear to contain any detergents just mild acids. Just rinse and rinse and rinse and.....

You might try using lemon juice (citric acid) as it is stronger than vinegar (acetic acid).
                DOWNSTAIRS display tanks:
                20g - 1 yellow Glowfish, 1 long-fin Danio and 3 Cherry Barbs
                37g - 3 Zebra Danios, 5 Red Serpae Tetras, Dwarf Flame Gourami and Red Tail Shark
                10g - single male Betta (daughters responsibility)
                UPSTAIRS research/quarantine tanks:
                10g - mosquitofish tank awaiting rebuild
                20g - heavily fake planted housing 8 Dwarf Gourami RIP Blue, Flame and unnamed
                20g - empty tank with beautiful black Tahitian moon sand
                10g - hospital sterilized and dry :-)
                5.5g - fry tank with mosquitofish born 1 Mar 2012

Comment

update... i used the CLR. it worked ok, but didn't remove all that i wanted removed. rinsed repeatedly and am using the tank with no issues!
                  so moral of the story is: CLR is good to go... just make sure ya rinse it real good and if your still not sure you can always pour milk in to neutralize the acid and then rinse a few times afterwards.

Comment

Just bought a 135 gal used and will be using CLR on the hardwater stains... but it has some stains that seem to be inside the glass... can't scrape it off from outside nor from inside... plus that tank is heavy as hell so will be cleaning it in the house on the carpet where it lays and use my wet vac to suck up the waste water after cleaning and multiple rinses.

Comment

you can get muriatic acid (vinegar is diluted from this) from a pool supply store (pH down) but it is way too strong to use inside. glass cannot be poisened by CLR, but it might get under the sealant. like you said, use a strong base to neutralize, i never thought of milk but thats a good idea. i use baking soda to make a watery paste
                      75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                      28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                      12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                      29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                      45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                      33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Baking Soda and water sounds good too!

Comment

CLR can not be to poison us. as we use it to clean coffee pots and other things that get strong stains.
                          75g Tank,
                          2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
                          2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
                          10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
                          10g Tank
                          Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X