No announcement yet.

55g Aquarium (Saltwater Noob)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Caveat Emptor" applies to pretty much everything in the saltwater aquarium hobby hahaha :)
    I would wait till it settles out just a bit more to add the LR (maybe like a few hours)

Comment

Originally posted by makatak123 View Post
      ok, today i got 10 lbs of live rock and 40 of live sand. I aslo just put in my salt and water today (no de chlorinized) is my live rock and sand safe to be put in the tank?
      What did you mean when you said "(no de chlorinized)"?

Did you put in tap water without using something such as Seachem Prime to remove the chlorine? It may stay in your system a very long time. It's better to remove it.

You understand that de-chlorined tap water is do-able but not the best to use in salt water tank, right?

As long as live rock and sand are clean and not contaminated, they are safe to add to your tank. Rinsing them off real well beforehand usually does the trick.

Comment

i think i have glass anemones in the tank!?!?! what do I do?
        10g Community Planted Aquarium
        10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
        55g Saltwater Aquarium-
        20gH-Angelfish Planted Aquarium
        20gL-Leopard Gecko

A 13 Year Old Teen Who Loves his animals!!
        YOUTUBE: Michael15551

Comment

I would read over this---this website is my absolute favorite for aquarium problems

Comment

thanks!
            10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
            55g Saltwater Aquarium-
            20gL-Leopard Gecko

Comment

Most of my aptasia went away. I still have my 7 ponds of fiji live rock. I am looking to buy 40 more pounds of dry rock since live rock is so expensive! And I just used up the last of my saltwater master test kit. If anyone knows where I can get some CHEAP dry rock(around 40 pounds) that looks good and at least half full saltwater test kit CHEAP please tell me!! Again i am only 12 and used up a lot of my money already on equipment.
              10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
              55g Saltwater Aquarium-
              20gL-Leopard Gecko

Comment

OR should I buy certain individual (NEW) test kits that I need. I am not getting coral. The one I am thinking about getting are a Nitrate test kit, A ammonia test kit, and a PH test kit. Is this all I need??
                10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
                55g Saltwater Aquarium-
                20gL-Leopard Gecko

Comment

Originally posted by makatak123 View Post
                  OR should I buy certain individual (NEW) test kits that I need. I am not getting coral. The one I am thinking about getting are a Nitrate test kit, A ammonia test kit, and a PH test kit. Is this all I need??
                  If you are on a budget, just get Ammonia and Nitrate test kit.
                  The Ammonia is most important because if it's present, it will kill your livestock.
                  Nitrate is next especially if you get corals but not so much if you just have fish. Either way, if you don't overfeed, change water diligently, have good filtration, you don't need it much later.
                  pH will be whatever it is. If you are really into delicate corals, you may need to test for it but not absolutely necessary.

A trick to save on the usage: the bottle says use 10 drops of test liquid in 5 ml of water or so. You can use 5 drops in 2.5 ml of water. Works the same.

Comment

I decided no coral, so just nitrate and ammonia? Thanks!!
                    10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
                    55g Saltwater Aquarium-
                    20gL-Leopard Gecko

Comment

I need to get a sump for my tank and this is my plan: Drill a hole into the bottom of my HOB. Have A pvc pipe hooked up to the hole and goes to the sump. the only size tank that can fit into the stand is a 10g. So the pvc would lead into the 10g. I will have the protein skimmer and the bubble trap in there. Then I will have the return pump. One question: The 10g I have had copper used in it, is the 10g still safe to use?
                      10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
                      55g Saltwater Aquarium-
                      20gL-Leopard Gecko

Comment

Your better off getting a overflow box than drilling a hob I'm sure someone on here has one cheap enough and I'm not sure about the 10 gallon though

Comment

I think tu 10 gallon should be ok if your not keeping corals or other invertebrates but not sure on that.... You can always clean that 10 gallon with vinegar but idk if that helps with the copper at all.

Comment

Working...
                          X